Fish bone from Ymuiden

Max-fossils

Hi all,

Picked this fossil up at the fossil fair Ede last weekend, and I have no clue what it is. The paper that came with it said (in Dutch): "cleitrum / schelvisachtige" and apparently it's from the very early Holocene, and it was found in Ymuiden (NL). Doing a quick Google translate, I got as a translation: cleithrum / haddock-like. Those were new words to me, so I googled them and saw that a cleithrum is part of the skeleton of bony fish (though I still don't know where), and that a haddock is a kind of fish. So now I ask you, what exactly is it? And where in the fish would it have been?

Thanks in advance!

Max

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I'm fairly new to fossil learning , but I believe the cleithrum bone is one that runs vertically with the scalpula on bony fish. Haddock fish are part of the Cod family, Gadidae to my understanding (read a lot about thes types of bones being found in archaeological sites and stuff when I was studying anthropology in school) - but that is modern fish in my statement - I wouldn't know about fossil fish remaining in that category, so I'm interested in what answer you get from those with the great knowledge, as well! 

Archived