Did I Just Find My First Mastodon Tooth?

Sharks of SC

Hello everyone! 

I know I recently reported on my major bucket-lister fossil, a four-inch tooth from the shark Carcharocles angustidens. Well...I think I may have just knocked another one off the list. 

Let me first say that I have a very limited knowledge of ice age mammal material, but this does seem to resemble examples of Mastodon (Mammut americanum) that I've seen before, which would make it a first for me. South Carolina doesn't exactly have the reputation for mammal material that Florida and Texas have, so this is a particularly gratifying find. 

Im curious about the size and degree of wear on this tooth. Am I correct in assuming that this tooth belonged to a juvenile individual? If so, why so much wear to the feeding surface? This is the first mammal tooth that I've found at the location that the Oligocene-age marine fossils I post. How did this one small vestige of the Pleistocene end up among Oligocene-Miocene marine material? 

Here she is - 

DSC_0101.thumb.JPG.75a9e769fadb796cdd537ff29fc8db31.JPG58cac618e5e16_DSC_01021.thumb.JPG.c0e0b6ca52f3d43f5c35ca474a089f6a.JPG58cac61ff19c3_DSC_01031.thumb.JPG.dbf7d3a9b2d23f7e0cda330db95d9d42.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

15 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

pic-mastodon-molar-baby-1-large.jpg

pic-mastodon-molar-baby-3-large.jpg

For comparison, here is one from 32FordBoy (Nick)

Thank you, sure does look similar! 2017 is shaping up to be a great fossil-finding year at this pace! 

I think it is pretty darn close!

Congrats on a SWEEEEEEEET find!

2017 is your year!

Gorgeous!!! This is worth drooling over..:drool:  Congratulations on one of those once in a lifetimes.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Very nice find. I have found several broken specimens but have yet to find a complete tooth.

Excellent find, congrats! A whole one is still on my list as well:fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Very nice! Congratulations on a great find!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.