Strepsodus

Insect wing?

Strepsodus

Hi.  I found this in South Yorkshire, UK in the Pennine Middle Coal Measures formation (upper Carboniferous.)  Is it part of an insect wing or just a plant? I think it may be the negative half of the fossil though I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Daniel

image.thumb.jpg.9be1615663ace27376b3d026493d05dc.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.23e60747fc1ebb3b25d47969d96f4067.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.c35aa0dd3ba2118d20c7e540bc75dc84.jpg

Fossildude19

I did a bit of brightening and cropping and rotating. 

In this one, I outlined the missing chunk of matrix. 

image.jpg.724c699d94d9def3dfdb7d010f207517.jpg        image.jpg.9e96bcb083e8a327d9e9d689f0499d8f.jpg      image.jpg.0e74fbc558685d7513d9e24d4caa509d.jpg

It may be possible, but it reminded me more of a shark egg case - something like Palaeoxyris sp. ? :unsure:  :headscratch:

Too bad that chunk is missing. 

Regards,

Jesuslover340

Not in any way an expert on fossilized insects, but it does look reminiscent of one I found from the Permian of Oklahoma:

downloadfile~2-1~2.jpg

Strepsodus

Hi.  Thanks for the replies.  That Permian insect wing is very nice- well done.

Daniel

Jesuslover340
8 minutes ago, Strepsodus said:

Hi.  Thanks for the replies.  That Permian insect wing is very nice- well done.

Daniel

Thanks! While likely not the same (Asthenohymen sp.), it does kind of show similar structure indicating yours may be an insect wing, I think.

Ash
7 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Not in any way an expert on fossilized insects, but it does look reminiscent of one I found from the Permian of Oklahoma:

downloadfile~2-1~2.jpg

I love that one!!

Micah

Hmmm reminds me of one of the fossils I'm still trying to ID, but in mine you can still see the veins of the bug wings. (This is Late Pennsylvanian/Early Permian)

IMG_4758.JPG

fossilized6s

Personally I'm leaning more towards Annularia, because of the circular shape towards the attachment point and the evenly spaced (in this case pinnules) objects. Don't want to burst any bubbles, just my observations. 

Taogan

I am also leaning towards plant with this one, I can't see any veins that would confirm it's a wing. Maybe some more pictures with the light at a different angle would help

Fossildude19

I think Plant of some kind on this one your item, Micah. I adjusted contrast, and am not seeing any insect loking veining on this.

IMG_4758.JPG.1b5072b6b7f1734317c1e92198627068.JPG