Dinosaur Claw Question

keithmegalodon

Hi TFF,

I have this dinosaur claw from Hell Creek. I purchased it a couple months ago and now I have noticed something I didnt really notice when I first got it. Its like hair- type stuff in the fossil itself. I thought it was just from the riker box it was in but when I tried taking it off, it was like it is part of the claw. Was just curious if you guys know anything about it if its is fungal or something. And how to take the stuff completely off it. Thanks guys and for the replies. :)IMG_6723.thumb.JPG.abdd4c042d1951e1002db1d710f7b726.JPGIMG_6722.thumb.JPG.d63943589e41471e69720c92546084e7.JPG

Looks like root hairs but take a closer picture of one area.  A common problem with bones from the HC is root etching and it can get quite severe and destroy the appearance of an otherwise nice bone.  My guess is that those hairs are around more porous parts of the bone and are harder to clean. 

• I found this Informative 5

Hey Troodon, thanks for the reply. Yeah I guess thats it. Would you know if there is any proper way to clean the area? I wouldnt want a piece to be ruined. I was trying to pull the hairs out eariler but couldnt get eveything. Thanks again. :) 

Your in an area that the bone looks a bit weathered so you cannot get aggressive without comprising the bone.  I don't have any quick solutions other than the tedious process of using tweezers.  A microblaster would work if you have one.  Let's see what @jpc says he must have seen this problem before. 

I agree with troodon... these look like roots, and yes, pretty common in Lance/Hell Creek bones.  The plants love the minerals in these bones.  I have seen many a good bone trashed by plants.  Good thing I like living plants and the animals that feed upon them.

As for what to do with it, I am not sure.  The bone looks very delicate there where the roots are, probably because of the roots.  A gentle brushing with a toothbrush might work, but stop if it takes away the bone.  You could take them out with a pair of tweezers.  Labor intensive.  Don't pull too hard, but rather bend and break them where they come out of the bone.  If you pull they will tend to pull out of the bone taking a lot of bone with them. Or cut them each with a fine pair of scissors.  

Good luck.  let us know how it goes.  

• I found this Informative 4

I am not saying do it but asking for feed back.

Can you not just burn the roots off with a quick pass through a flame or would this crack the fossil.

How did this get past customs ?

It all depends how competent the bone is and how flammable the roots are.  Hard to say but why take the chance.

Does customs open every package and if they did would they recognize plant matter in a bone that is packaged? It's not obvious. Enjoy our special present from North America and one that is free other that the labor to clean it :ighappy:

• I found this Informative 1