Egg fossil?

spz457

My initial thought by the looks is that this is some type of fossilized egg, but it's strange how it would split in half after becoming a fossil. I do not have the other half. On the inside, it appears to me like it could be an embryo of a reptile with the head at the top, the spine curving on the right side of the egg and legs at the bottom with a tail curling up in between the legs.

The outside looks like a cracked shell on the end. Any thoughts? Or is it a weird geological formation?

IMG_2287.JPG

IMG_2292.JPG

IMG_2297.JPG

Check this out. These things were, and still are to a certain extent, a source of iron for industry when there are enough of them to be found in one place. 

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the others.

+1 for concretion. 

Geologic, and not biologic in origin. 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Check this out. These things were, and still are to a certain extent, a source of iron for industry when there are enough of them to be found in one place. 

Very interesting link! Thanks for sharing!

When I was digging in the Hell Creek this past September, there were quite a few of them  and some really big ones too!  I took one out of the matrix that was as big as my head.  Of course, I had soaked the end of it in Paleobond, thinking I had found the end of a large bone!   :blush:

• I found this Informative 1

What gives it the appearance of having broken shell is the effect of weathering. Minerals tend to expand as water and oxygen are incorporated into the structure causing the layers to delaminate. 

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks for the welcome and for everyone taking a look at the photos and providing input. That is a great link and I can see where it resembles iron now! Like one of my other posts, I've had these geological formations (what I hoped to be fossils) that I found almost 20 years ago and thought to look for a forum to check it out because I couldn't find a forum then. :)