Is this a Coprolite ?

LynnB

Welcome to the forum.  Looks more geologic than coprolite.  Wrong shape and they usually have some  spiral shape.  Do you see any bones or residue in the specimen.

Hi this was found on the beach at Sandsend Yorkshire. There doesn't seem to be bones or residue in it.

I've seen pieces like that on the Yorkshire coast and I think it's a piece of Carboniferous Coal Measures sandstone with carbonised plant debris, taken there as a glacial erratic.

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

Since Tarquin is familiar with the area, he is most likely correct. Personally, I haven't seen any coprolites from Yorkshire. I do have quite a few in my collection from the Dorset area. Tarquin please correct me if I'm wrong...from what I have read online the formations are the same (Lias?). That said, I am just curious if the color in your photos reflect the actual color of your rock. The coprolites I've seen from the the Lower Lias are generally more tan to almost black in color. Would you mind taking a close up photo of the surface? I am curious to see the inclusions, even if they are plant material. :)

Nice photos. To elaborate a bit, it looks like a pencil ganister with fine root traces.

From Wikipedia: "Where a ganister underlies coal as a seatearth, it typically is penetrated by numerous root traces. These root traces typically consist of carbonaceous material. Ganisters that contain an abundance of fossil roots, which appear as fine carbonaceous, pencil-like streaks or markings, are called “pencil ganisters”."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganister

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin