Spinosaur Tooth W/ Possible Restoration

Trilobiting

I found this 2 3/4 spinosaur tooth being sold on a popular auction site. It looks like it's been painted to hide enamel peel. About how real is the tooth?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

This looks a bit too thin for a Spinosaurid. Maybe a Pterosaur tooth?

But I agree that it has been painted. How real it is is hard to tell because of the dark photos. It might be partially restored, but better photos are required to find out more about that.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Actually think it a composite of both but need better pictures 

Thanks. I actually haven't bought this item, so I can't get more pictures, I can try to ask the seller to provide more.

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

That's good looks very suspicious that something is going on, WALK AWAY from it.

The pictures are a bit blurry but brightened them.  All that white is fill, the front end has been poorly reattached and it may be a composite.  Like LordTrilobite said too thin for a spino.  Too many red flags

image.thumb.jpeg.2bb4df20aa09488ef01d317b34adfcc6.jpg.3eb15da3bc824718ddd040b105cdc5e6.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.273208f0e74240a5aa3d51beb7dcfea2.jpg.c2cb92499bbc96c533de2942b41eb43b.jpg

It's a composite. It has become very common to increase the length of a tooth with no tip to just add one from another animal. I've seen teeth so ridiculously long that they almost look like tusks. Naturally, the sellers want crazy amounts of money for these fakes.

“When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.” - Jack Handy

Archived