Rockaholic

These are Carboniferous fossils preserved within sideritic concretions found near Terre Haute Indiana.They were collected from the Busseron Sandstone Member of the Shelburn Formation, in shales above the coal seam Coal (No. 7) and are dated from the Middle Pennsylvanian, which correlates with the Westphalian D.

Macroneuroptis are common at the location that I collect but this is the first Trifolate Macroneuropteris that I've found.When it first split only one of the ovoid shaped basal pinnules was exposed.

aafirst.thumb.JPG.5f857749150f5f17007bb4f3d9a554dd.JPG

A tap of the hammer exposed the second basal pinnule and I secured it with a little glue.

aFirst.thumb.JPG.ce9f8b491ba7c8c8316b3865cdb4be14.JPG

Unfortunately the apex of this leaf is missing but I was still happy to have found it.

Sphenopteris is uncommon at the sight that I collect but this one split recently so I thought I’d share this photo also.

sphenopteris.thumb.JPG.c506017c861ff446cf57cb012949ca9c.JPG

nice plants

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I would be happy to find these, too. Very nice.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Beautiful Macroneuropteris with associated fern. Very nice piece. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Nice flora! :) 

Thanks for posting these - nice to see the plants getting some airtime. :D 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very nice plants, love that first one. I have collected in the Shelburn but have yet to find a single Macroneuropteris- I will just have to keep searching!

Excellent specimens. Thanks for publicizing Indiana's wealth of Carboniferous plant material. Congratulations.

Archived