Fossil sites around NYC?

hashemdbouk

Hi,

I moved to NYC recently from Texas (where the fossils are plentiful and everywhere) and am very interested in finding out about fossil sites around New York City or in the (relatively) nearby upstate area. Does anyone have any locations or suggestions? I'd rather not trek as far as ithaca and buffalo, i will get to those at some point, as I have read about the sites there, but if anyone knows anywhere closer, i would greatly appreciate info! And if anyone from the area would like to plan a trip and wants some company, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

H

• I found this Informative 1

Hi and welcome. Big Brook NJ is probably closest to you. The Schoharie valley is really good and day trip distance for both of us. I've been hitting Gilboa In the Schoharie valley lately with some cool finds. There are also lots of unexplored spots in that area too. It is all Devonian and I think Big Brook NJ is Cretaceous.

• I found this Informative 2

Welcome to the North East. :)   

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Big Brook would cetainly be one of the closest sites. NW corner of Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania can be good but you will need directions. Consider joining the NY Paleontological Society as they do field trips and the meetings are great for meeting other collectors.

Hi,

You are very fortunate to now to be in an area that is very diverse geologically with a wide variety of fossils that can be found within a day's drive. South of you is the Atlantic Coastal Plain- Cretaceous and Tertiary fossils from places like Big Brook and Calvert Cliffs. North and west of you is the Allegheny Plateau with Paleozoic fossils. The Hudson and Mohawk Valleys have Ordovician and Silurian fossils. And of course the Newark Supergroup - Upper Triassic and Lower Jurassic fossils, though finding them may be a real challenge. I agree that joining the NY Paleo Society would be an excellent first step. There's already a trip planned to Big Brook in April. Good luck.

Thank you all for the advice! I will be going to Big Brook soon, very excited about the opportunities in the northeast! :)

And i will definitely be joining the NY Paleo society, the one in Dallas was fantastic, so I'm excited to join the NY society.

Welcome to the northeast. I'm leading a trip to Ramamnessin brook in Holmdel NJ in Monmouth county on April 29th for the Delaware Valley paleo society (DVPS) and your more then welcome to join us if you like.  I can MP you a message with directions. 

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Calvert Cliffs is my stomping grounds. Let me know if you ever want to go out hunting for shark teeth.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Thank you Tony (njfossilhunter), but i will be travelling out of the country from April 20th for 2 weeks, so I can't make that trip. But next time, yes, please send me a message!

jsnrice, I will have to take you up on that offer sometime after April, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks all! I went to big brook and it was lots of fun, appreciate the advice. Will post some pics in next 2 days. Excited to check out all the other suggestions, so I greatly appreciate it! And if anyone has a fossil hunting trip planned and wouldn't mind company, please let me know :)