Brazos River, Texas - Claws, Teeth, Bones

Mike Price

Brazos River, Texas - fossils, artifacts, geofacts

When I was 16yr old, I found a porcelain fossil (stag horn base) on the Brazos river. I was told by the old timer that owned the land, it might possibly have been used as a flint knapping tool because he had found arrowheads in the same area. It was the coolest thing. And that find, started a boy on a life long hunt for treasure. bones & artifacts

The stag base has faint cut marks where the tines was scored and removed. It has wear marks on both sides of the small tine stub. It fits a man's hand just fine.

As the 30 years passed, I eventually found other fossils, bone and stone tools, arrowheads, burnt rock, burnt bone, possible clay pottery fragments and bucket full of rough gold and pink Texas Jasper rock around what I believe to be a old 10-20 acre hearth site, on 150 acres on high ground on the Brazos river.

The bone and wood tools are possibly a knapping tool, pendant, sabre tooth bone awl. The razor thin bone awl was sharpened on both sides and looks like it might have had a handle at one time, a large broken wooden handle with pine pitch or asphaltum stains, a bone shaft tool, it also fits a man's hands good and a broken antler/wooden spoon.

I also found little geofacts...ie... A small gray geode baby's rattle? A small hand ground pink jasper snake head effigy? I also found what might possibly be more ground jasper effigies, ceremonial pieces or tools. And a few other odd bone and stone pieces, I'm not sure about.

If you look at the bison bone closely, you can see what looks to be cuts, hack marks, scratches and a few little teeth marks on the bone from a scavenger?

The old timers have all died that allowed me to treasure hunt (light digging) for a decades. Today, the family dont want me digging anymore. I hadn't been back to that site in 10yrs. So I continue to work the Brazos river banks for treasure.

Yeah, I admit it, I'm a bone hoarder.....

I still have a box of stones and bones from that site to go thru. I'm trying to catch up and catalog it all. Before my beautiful bride, for 34 blissful and tolerant years, dumps it all back in the river..... cheeeese

20170324_123207-1.jpg

Lovin' those butcher marks!  Also the shark vert and ray pavement teeth are killer.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Archived