RJB

While I was going through a bunch of my 'collection' boxes with all my fossil crustaceans to put into my new display cabinet, I ran into this little plastic bag.  This box is at least 12 or 13 years old and some of the fossils were things ive prepped about 20 years ado.  I have no idea as to where I acquired this tooth?  I use to be a very prolific trader back in the day and I cant remember everything anymore.  No idea as to the local of this specimen.  Im also not a tooth guy.  Im hoping that someone here has an idea to what it tooth is.  Oh, it measures about 3 inches.

RB 

tooth001A.JPG

tooth001B.JPG

tooth001C.JPG

Looks like a tyrannosaurid tooth but without specific information on where it was found that's about all you can say.    It's a very nice tooth and can be prepped to be gorgeous.  There are other possibilities of what it can be but suggesting the most obvious with what you provided.  Locality and age are vital for a definitive ID.

I apologize folks.  I have no info on this.  I used to be real good at cataloging fossils, but for whatever reason, I didn't for this?

RB

Wow!  That is a really nice tooth!  It has nice serrations too!  

Like Troodon said, it can be prepped to be a real beauty!   :ighappy:    Congrats!   

If if you can ever confirm the locality, and depending on where it's from, it could be worth quite a few beans.   

Well thanks everyone.  Troodon and Susan says it can be prepped to look gorgeous.  Not sure how one goes about that?  I do the crabs, lobsters and ammo's and have no idea how to attack the prep on this tooth?  I do like the idea that it could be worth a 'few beans', and I will most likey let it go, but right now, not sure what to do? 

RB

Ok, now my mind is going 100 miles an hour on how to prep this out.  Can I ask you Troodon and also you Susan some prep tips on how to go about this?  I do love to prep, and this looks like it would be a super good challenge.  Just no clue how.  

RB

I don't prep teeth you really need to know what your doing,  getting the right sheen is the tough part.  I send mine out to a preparer that does a great job.   Let's see if other members have done teeth an can offer suggestions. 

Personally I would leave it as is. the natural look suits it.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Beautiful tooth . Looks a lot like my own  tyrannosaurid tooth , very similar indeed. Bobby 

It's a very nice tooth.  :)    Having it restored or not restored is a personal preference.   If this were tooth in my collection, I would have it restored.  Again, that is a personal preference.  Many collectors like to have all of their fossils unrestored.  It's really up to you.  

That being said, I don't prepare fossils or teeth myself. That takes someone who really knows what they are doing.   I send mine to a professional preparator in Hill City, South Dakota.   (Not sure if I'm permitted to say who on the forum without using private message).  

@RJB I would fill the cracks and finish out the missing enamel at the base of the crown with Apoxie Sculpt and give it a bit of paint to match. This is minimal prep and I have done this many times in the past. I found that it increased the sale-ability of the teeth as well as their value to the general collector.

Very nice tooth. If you got it 20-30 years ago and it's from a very old collection, it could even be Albertosaurus as they weren't restricted until the mid 80's for export.

Ron I would be very cautious attempting to prep this tooth as your first one.   Its a very nice tooth and big and you don't want it mess it up.   If you dont plan on keeping it there are lots of folks that would be willing to purchase it as-is and they can decide what to do with it. 

Ron I would be very cautious attempting to prep this tooth as your first one.   Its a very nice tooth and big and you don't want it mess it up.   If you dont plan on keeping it there are lots of folks that would be willing to purchase it as-is and they can decide what to do with it. 

Hey Troodon.  Im not sure what to do now. ....   I have plenty of other fossil to mess with. 

RB

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Troodon is correct. Don't want to mess up a tooth! I'd even be willing to give you five dollars for it just to get it out of your hair so you don't have to worry about it. :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

14 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hey Troodon.  Im not sure what to do now. ....   I have plenty of other fossil to mess with. 

RB

If you have other projects going on selling it as-is is a good option.  You can list it on an auction site or accept good offers.   It's a nice tooth that you will not have any problems selling even without a locality.

RJB, I prep and restore fossils. particularly claws and teeth. My opinion is that the tooth looks very nice aesthetically as it is. Sometimes its just better not to restore, and in my opinion, this is one of those times.

Hi Ron. If I were you, I'd keep it in my own collection as is for the time being and concentrate on trying to find out where it came from.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thank you everyone for all the advice.  I think im just going to put it away for now.   Maybe next year?

RB

Hi don't put it away, display it . It is a lovely fossil, to be appreciated .

Bobby

Archived