Dinosaur claw

Bilmor

Hi, I bought this claw in Rissani, Morocco  for a week ago. It was found in the Kem-Kem area. But I'm not sure the species it belong to. Any suggestions?

IMG_1933.JPG

Well my guess it's supposed to be a Spinosaurid hand claw.  I'm very suspicious of composites or complete fabrication etc with claws like this.  Can you post pictures of the other side and some close up of claw.   The Moroccan dinosaur community are real artisans.

Forgot, welcome to the forum 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, here`s more pictures of the claw. I guess it som repair and glues in it. Can someone give a review ? or advice?

claw1.jpg

claw2.jpg

claw3.jpg

claw4.jpg

I think the middle might be genuine. But I think the base is completely constructed with some bone material in it here and there. It looks like the tip migth also have been restored. Hard to tell from the photos though.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Im no dino claw expert, but the second I looked at this I thought it didn't look right.  I believe LordTrilobite is spot on with his assessment.  

RB

I'm not an expert on these claws either, and determining what is real and what isn't on these claws can be tricky sometimes.  I have to agree with LordTrilobite.  I think the middle portion of the ventral surface is real, the area that is a lighter white in color.  The rest of it looks highly suspect.     We can ask  @Troodon

I'm like Troodon, the moroccan dinosaur community are real artisans. Could you show us a photo of its base surface ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Thanks for the additional photos but the images are all from one side.  Would like to see the other side.

The first thing that strikes me about the claw is the overall shape: long, straight and thin.  I'm not an expert on Spinosaurid claws but that's not the typical morphology of ones I've seen but... .  The color variations in the bone also have me concerned and raise the issues of compositing but I would have to hold it to really determine what's been done but I dont see the exaggerated joint issues of a composite and the lines look good so does the blood groove.  Like others have said the proximal articulation appears to have been reconstructed.   So lots of concerns that photos of the other side might help clarify.

Here is your typical Spinosaurid hand claws.  There is digit to digit variations but stout at one end and slightly recurved 

t2111_3.jpg.fd3dd8328eae155a609a3c0589dc4cfa.jpgimg_6986.thumb.jpg.9db434a6d50f19242072ff0374bf2b38.jpg

149-1.jpg.f99de40db827a002f6b9de596f8a09ce.jpg

post-10935-0-53200200-1441311832.thumb.jpg.ab6a7ec6cbe12542ac30acf28518d3a4.jpg

Try exposing it to UV light.  This can help determine parts that are authentic vs parts that are fabricated.

Thanks or all answers. Here`s some more pictures from both sides. I try uv-light and it glow like other bone material I have, for example a big vertebra (100 % real) I have. I think I`m not sure what I shall looking for ?

claw5.jpg

claw6.jpg

...and I`m 100 percent sure it is repaired and glued here and there. Agree with you Troodon that the shape is little strange. The seller/dealer thought is was a birdlike claw? 

The biggest issues with vertebrae is that the Moroccan like to composite the processes on it.  Post it let's take a look.

I hate to ask for more pictures but can you take a closeup of this

claw5.jpg.8c8299e51a39f1e72bda1eb26a3b312d.jpg.40c5d52e7678cc32f249a527a31508df.jpg

...and I have a question about this trilobite. It`s for sure real (buyer from a very good taxidermist i Morocco) As you see it`s little translucent (like some russians) and you can see a our through it. But can someone tell me what kind of species it is? or family?

tri1.jpg

tri2.jpg

tri3.jpg

Thank you.  I don't see any evidence of compositing on the tip just repair with glue and matrix.  The claw is odd, not prepped very well, a few repairs but except for the back end may be good.  

Not a bug expert.  Suggest you post it as a separate topic to get all the Trilobite experts looking.  If you have a specific locality with size it would be helpful.

Thank you Troodon. I have a good friend with name Jørn Hurum (dinosaur expert at Natural History Museum, University of Oslo) Will vist him tomorrow. Her said the same as you from the pictures! He thought (like you) at this was from a spinosaurid species. Thank you all for answers and advises. 

best wishes

Morten Bilet

Norway

Glad all of the members on the forum can help and provide input to your claw.  Your friend Jørn Hurum will be able to have a very close look at the claw and provide an experts view on what was done to it.  Would love some feedback so we can educate ourselves.

I would say a kind of proetoidea, but i know very little about trilobites. We should wait @piranha or @FossilDAWG.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Archived