Help ID possible large fish fossil found in San Pedro, California area

ADURAN

Hello everone,

Thank you in advance. This is my first post so bear with me if I don't give the proper information needed or if my photos aren't sufficient. I think this is a fossil? Possibly some sort of fish? Found on the Los Angeles coast in San Pedro area of california.  I'm posting two photos but because of the size I couldn't post the rest.  I will try to post more in another post on this thread.

Thank you again,

Amy

fossil resize 7903.jpg

fossil resize_5842.jpg

Welcome to the forum :)

This is a huge fish great find!

The head and tail are missing what you have is a section of the spine and a pectoral fin.

Someone more knowledgeable on the geology of the area will be able to give you more information on ID.

Regards,

6 minutes ago, Archie said:

Welcome to the forum :)

This is a huge fish great find!

The head and tail are missing what you have is a section of the spine and a pectoral fin.

Someone more knowledgeable on the geology of the area will be able to give you more information on ID.

Regards,

Thank you so much Archie, 

We found it last week and got together a bunch of friends and went back to get it.  It was so big I wasn't sure we would even be able to, but I have a friend that always makes the impossible happen! I still can't believe I found this! :) 

Congratulations! That is very impressive. Please don't tell me this is your first fossil find...

Just now, westcoast said:

Congratulations! That is very impressive. Please don't tell me this is your first fossil find...

Hahaha... Sorry to tell you yes this is my first fossil find.  My friend found a smaller one two weeks ago and we keep going back.  We had originally gone to get shells and crystals and this guy just jumped out at me.. :)

Very nice find! Definitely looks like a large fish of some sort. Maybe the fin of a second specimen above it?

Although it's old, this document might help narrowing down the possibilities. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

24 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Although it's old, this document might help narrowing down the possibilities. :)

Yay!  Thank you so much I will check this out for sure!

30 minutes ago, ynot said:

Welcome to the Fossil Forum, and to fossil hunting!

You have a great start!

Tony

Thank you so much Tony!! :)

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Fantastic find! :wub: 

Not sure you can get a positive ID, due to the fact that the head and tail are missing. Also missing are anal and dorsal fins. 

The positioning of the vertebrae leads me to believe that the small fin that is visible is probably a pelvic fin, so the pectorals are missing as well. 

Very hard to ID unless an expert in California fossil fishes is contacted. 

Regards, 

EDIT: maybe @oilshale will have some ideas...

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

40 minutes ago, jhw said:

Very nice find! Definitely looks like a large fish of some sort. Maybe the fin of a second specimen above it?

I think you may be right, the little fin is in such a weird position? So I don't know.  I have only started this journey so appreciate your input! 

:)

Just to complete, fishes like the large ones Alisea grandis, Ozymandias gilberti were found in the Miocene sediments of San Pedro, also a delphinid Phocaena occidua vertebral column in the sandstone shale. Urobatis halleri (dasiatid), Carcharodon arnoldi (Lamnidae) were recorded from the Pliocene rocks.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I used to live in San Pedro sometime back and did quite a bit of beach combing, fossil and relic hunting. It's a fairly fossiliferous area, but the best I've ever found were assorted mollusks. So once again, great find!

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Fantastic find! :wub: 

Not sure you can get a positive ID, due to the fact that the head and tail are missing. Also missing are anal and dorsal fins. 

The positioning of the vertebrae leads me to believe that the small fin that is visible is probably a pelvic fin, so the pectorals are missing as well. 

Very hard to ID unless an expert in California fossil fishes is contacted. 

Regards, 

Thank you so much. I still can't believe I found it.. I wish there was a way to know how old it is.  I may try to go back to the area and search for more sections? This was found in a sort of land slide area below a cliff. With all the rains we have been having recently a lot of treasure have been unearthed... any tips on searching the area surrounding where it was?

Thank you again Tim!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a great first find!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

4 minutes ago, jhw said:

I used to live in San Pedro sometime back and did quite a bit of beach combing, fossil and relic hunting. It's a fairly fossiliferous area, but the best I've ever found were assorted mollusks. So once again, great find!

It is so fossiliferous :) attached is the first one we found. The rains have definitely unearthed many things, which is exciting that's why we keep going back. We actually found a really amazing spot! :)  This first one was found about five miles from the other one.

fossil1resize_7694.jpg

10 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Just to complete, fishes like the large ones Alisea grandis, Ozymandias gilberti were found in the Miocene sediments of San Pedro, also a delphinid Phocaena occidua vertebral column in the sandstone shale. Urobatis halleri (dasiatid), Carcharodon arnoldi (Lamnidae) were recorded from the Pliocene rocks.

Thank you so much, for your help this is great! :) 

2 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a great first find!

Thank you! I'm loving it!

Very cool! But you have to find some with heads, or tails, preferably both! ;):P 

I would just search where you found this, maybe a bit further up or down the slope. 

As far as age - these are probably, as Abyssunder remarked, Miocene or Pliocene in age. 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yeah, the infrequent heavy rains definitely loosen up stuff in the the canyons and cliffs around here. Hmm, maybe time to make a little trip up to Old Topanga! I'd definitely keep working that spot you're on, and please post any other finds. Good luck!

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Very cool! But you have to find some with heads, or tails, preferably both! ;):P 

I would just search where you found this, maybe a bit further up or down the slope. 

As far as age - these are probably, as Abyssunder remarked, Miocene or Pliocene in age. 

Regards, 

HAHAHAHA! I will find one with a head and or tail just for you! :):P

We're definitely going to just keep revisiting this area it is a goldmine of fossils and crystals etc... Plus it's beautiful out there right now! :)

thank you so much for all your help and advice!

-Amy

13 minutes ago, jhw said:

Yeah, the infrequent heavy rains definitely loosen up stuff in the the canyons and cliffs around here. Hmm, maybe time to make a little trip up to Old Topanga! I'd definitely keep working that spot you're on, and please post any other finds. Good luck!

Yes the hunting is really good now! :) 

You should for sure venture out again!

Thank you so much and good luck to you!

-Amy

Archived