Help ID possible large fish fossil found in San Pedro, California area

ADURAN

Sorry I'm of little help; I'd have to see a complete vertebra to tell for sure. Almost certainly from the Monterey Fm., perhaps the Altamira Shale member.

16 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Great find!

Puts the fish I dig in Wyoming to shame!

Awe thanks! We're on the coast so we grow um big in the ocean hahaha ;)

Wyoming is beautiful though, I've been dying to visit Yellowstone!  

2 hours ago, Boesse said:

Sorry I'm of little help; I'd have to see a complete vertebra to tell for sure. Almost certainly from the Monterey Fm., perhaps the Altamira Shale member.

Thank you so much!  I'm actually going back next weekend to see if I can find more pieces where we found this, if I do I will post of course.  Thank you for looking though! :)

2 hours ago, doushantuo said:

I would advise everyone to look at this one for californian Neogene pisces,but take very good note of the caveat* 

BTW,I think there is no (longer) such a thing as Ozymandias ,and have my doubts about Alisea

* GSA ,1943 Maybe revised by David ?

Thank you so much going to check this out now! :)

I really appreciate your help!

Maybe Ophiodon ozymandias (Jordan, 1907) is better than Ozymandias gilberti ?

One year later, 1920, from the same authors, D. S. Jordan - J. Z. Gilbert :

"
19. Ozymandias gilberti Jordan.
(Plate XXIV)
No. 332 is part of the large fish supposed to be Ozymandias gilberti Jordan (Fossil Fishes of Southern California, p. 44, pi. XXI). It consists of a fragment, 8 1/2 inches long, with 12 large quadrate vertebrae from near the head, with their appendages. Vertebrae without ridges or grooves on the side, the median portion on each side a little prominent. The neurals are strong, directed well backward, well separated, with two dagger-shaped interneurals between each pair below first dorsal ; these corresponded to a long first dorsal fin of a dozen rays or more ; ribs well separated, very strong, curved strongly backward, each as long as six vertebrae. Body of even depth, the dorsal and ventral outlines seeming straight.
A broad, shortish pectoral fin of 12 to 15 rays detached from body, on side of belly.
It is not certain that this specimen belongs to Ozymandias, nor is it clear in what family it should be placed. The vertebrae and interneural structures agree very closely with those of the living genus Ophiodon Girard (O. elongatus), which now inhabits California waters. This is the sole representative of its family among recent fishes. " - link to document

o.thumb.jpg.412604b4cfa58597f9c5380b144c6033.jpg

One year later, 1921, as stated in D. S. Jordan. 1921. The Fish Fauna of the California Tertiary. Biological Sciences. Volume I, No. 4. Stanford University Publications

O1.jpg.8b55eb32fd97c5f4a27a0bb29b834a90.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 3/23/2017 at 9:46 PM, abyssunder said:

Maybe Ophiodon ozymandias (Jordan, 1907) is better than Ozymandias gilberti ?

One year later, 1920, from the same authors, D. S. Jordan - J. Z. Gilbert :

"
19. Ozymandias gilberti Jordan.
(Plate XXIV)
No. 332 is part of the large fish supposed to be Ozymandias gilberti Jordan (Fossil Fishes of Southern California, p. 44, pi. XXI). It consists of a fragment, 8 1/2 inches long, with 12 large quadrate vertebrae from near the head, with their appendages. Vertebrae without ridges or grooves on the side, the median portion on each side a little prominent. The neurals are strong, directed well backward, well separated, with two dagger-shaped interneurals between each pair below first dorsal ; these corresponded to a long first dorsal fin of a dozen rays or more ; ribs well separated, very strong, curved strongly backward, each as long as six vertebrae. Body of even depth, the dorsal and ventral outlines seeming straight.
A broad, shortish pectoral fin of 12 to 15 rays detached from body, on side of belly.
It is not certain that this specimen belongs to Ozymandias, nor is it clear in what family it should be placed. The vertebrae and interneural structures agree very closely with those of the living genus Ophiodon Girard (O. elongatus), which now inhabits California waters. This is the sole representative of its family among recent fishes. " - link to document

o.thumb.jpg.412604b4cfa58597f9c5380b144c6033.jpg

One year later, 1921, as stated in D. S. Jordan. 1921. The Fish Fauna of the California Tertiary. Biological Sciences. Volume I, No. 4. Stanford University Publications

O1.jpg.8b55eb32fd97c5f4a27a0bb29b834a90.jpg

Woah this looks pretty close you might be right! This is amazing thank you so much. I need to measure this guy, I've been so busy I haven't do so yet.  I also am still trying to head back out to the location I found it to see if there are more pieces (hopefull head or tail or something more).  Thank you so much for this information!  

-Amy

47 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

Ok, go back but wear a helmet.  And welcome to the FF.

:D haha, yes sir! and thank you very much! Everyone on here have been so kind and helpful!

• 1 month later...

Archived