coled18

Found this earlier yesterday in NE Kansas. The color, weight and consistency of the specimen is very similar to bone fossil fragments I've found in the area, but the weird shape and lines on the inside say otherwise. It's about 4 inches long and seems not to be broken recently, so I was thinking it was a petrified stick or something of the sort. I'm not really sure of what it is, so do you all have any idea? Thanks. 

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

CD

Sorry, looks geologic to me. Sometimes a porous look like this is produced when small fossil fragments dissolve away.  

• 1 month later...

Whereabouts in NE Kansas did you find it? Just curious since I'm nearby (SE Nebraska). I'd definately agree that it's geologic, probably sandstone or limestone. I've never found or heard of anyone in our area finding wood preserved in that type of rock. We do however have an abundance of petrified wood from glacial deposits. I've included a couple pieces that I've found recently for comparison.

IMG_4802.JPG

@Micah 

It was on a sandbar in the Republican River in Fort Riley. I have found some Ice Age bone fossils fragments at Fort Riley before as well as a few Permian and Carboniferous bits and pieces of shells and petrified wood that look really similar to yours (typically thinner though). I know the picture makes my piece look light in color, but its really a dark almost black color after washing. I agree that it does resemble limestone a bit, but it is too heavy and just has a weird shape so that's what threw me off. The thing is that petrified wood typically looks like the pieces you have, so I was stuck. Those are some beautiful specimens btw!

Neat to have found a fellow fossil hunter near by,

Cole

CD

Thanks! The weight, strange shape, and dark color could possibly be an iron concretion, it's a bit hard to tell from your pictures though. 

Yea I'll try use a metal detector when I get home to see. Thanks for the input. 

CD

9 minutes ago, coled18 said:

Yea I'll try use a metal detector when I get home to see. Thanks for the input. 

Iron concretions should not be detectable with a metal detector.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 hours ago, coled18 said:

Interesting, I didn't know that. If I may ask why is that? 

Because the iron is bonded with oxygen and does not have the same magnetic resonance as refined iron.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived