lot of dinosaur/ Mmmm fossils Lance Formation

Wowbnjijdat

Hi guys,

On a auction website I bought a collection of small Dinosaur/ Mammal fossils from the Lance Formation in Wyoming.

First photo: Have you any idea which teeth belong to what dinosaur or Mammal? And is the central left piece an crocodile scute? 

Second and third photo : Is it true, this could be an Ankylosaur scute? 

thank you very much!

Photo-2017-02-10-20-08-12_4215.JPG

$_57-3.JPG

$_57-2.JPG

Hard to see the items on the first photo.  Can you take a closer picture of the individual specimens.

I don't see a anky scute.  The surface texture on your top photo is too rough for one.  Can you post a picture of the side.

Edit: that's good 

Very difficult to determine what you have.  The ones circled in white might be ceratopsian spitter tooth fragments.  The red one might be a gar fish scale

Photo-2017-03-21-13-21-07_4317.JPG.536844afe0a889a632f5061ab6f41b42_20170321054453198.thumb.jpg.ef262638d0bc7b852f708b5beeb5c91f.jpg

I'm still leaning away from that bone being a scute, the surface texture just does not look right.

Your other peice does not look like a crocodile  scute.   Looks too thin and the cavities are not uniform or defined.   Example.

croc_scute_web.JPG.0e8904633dc4db465663226763c71a44.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Hmm thats a shame, it is just a bone then (the 'ankylosaur scute')? I bought from the same reseller also an Ankylosaur tooth (see photo) but is it?

I have a croc scute from the Kem Kem, so in comparison they have some similarities, what do you think it is?

Photo-2017-03-21-14-22-29_4325.JPG

Photo-2017-03-21-14-22-41_4326.JPG

Sellers put a generic name on these type of teeth and call them ankylosaur.   It's actually a Nodosauridae tooth which is in the family of ankylosaurian dinosaurs.   Depending on where it comes from could be an Edmontonia sp. 

I cannot say what your other fragment is.

Here is a topic I put together on this family of teeth.

• I found this Informative 4

Interesting! I didn't know that.. The tooth is from the Judith river formation, so Edmontonia is probably right? 

I not aware what Nodosaurid has been described from the Judith River Fm, if any.  However if you compare that fauna to those equivalent in age, Alberta's Dinosaur Park Fm, they have multiple species described.  So since these faunas appear to be more diverse I would guess that more than one Nodosaurid is present in the Judith of Montana.  The most accurate ID: Nodosaurid indet.   If you feel compelled to put a species name Edmontonia is okay.