Myakka River FL Tooth / Fang?

Calvin Jenkins

Found this today in slough adjoining Myakka river.  It is round but straight, about 2" long and nearly 1/2" in diameter.  I did find a dolphin tooth and several small (<1") shark teeth plus smaller bone fragments (area has larger mammal fragments nearby.

Education appreciated!

Thanks,

Calvin

Tusk1.thumb.png.4712dac82d04aa53360a8633002b1437.png

Additional photos would be helpful (from other angles). From this one image I'm leaning toward a bone fragment. The "wrinkles" (cracks) along the length are what is triggering that in my mind.

EDIT: Tony and I in a photo finish on that reply. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

More photos, so could this be a dugong rib bone?  I'll compare to some of my bigger bones to see if I have the similar cracking pattern.

Thanks,

Calvin

Tusk Shaft.jpg

Tuskend.jpg

Tuskend2.jpg

So what does the cracking pattern along the length indicate?  I looked at my other bits of Dugong/whale bones & these are smooth with no external cracks.  Is it related to not being under water all year?

Thanks,

Calvin

Bone will often crack longitudinally when it drys out. My guess is it happened before fossilizing.

Wait for the Florida collectors to confirm the id though, as I have never seen a dugong rib in person.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

My first impression is that this is a beat up whale tooth. The more I look, the less confident I am on that.

3 hours ago, calhounensis said:

My first impression is that this is a beat up whale tooth. The more I look, the less confident I am on that.

This was my first impression as well. 

In the first picture i see a clear layer of what looks to be enamel and possibly even a hint of a nerve cavity in the broken portion. I've never seen such a color contrast of layering in Dugong ribs before. If not Whale, possibly tusk (walrus, peccary)??? 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

a short remark on dugong ribs:

"The first rib is more or less straight and cylindrical; from the second onwards, the ribs are curved -- the 2nd to 4th ribs are compressed while the rest are cylindrical. The tips of the anterior 12 pairs of ribs are truncate, those of the last 6 pairs pointed. From the 5th rib onwards, a protuberance is present at about the mid-length of the rib. These protuberances, which are directed backwards, are more conspicuous on the 14th, 15th, and 18th pairs of ribs.''

Source: James,1974

So I did a bit more research on this too, here in FL we see bunches of dugong bones, which is a good harbinger but very un-exciting so it usually gets tossed aside (makes for good plant bedding material!).

What I found is there are two different styles of dugong bone structures...

"Big Boned" as seen here...

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hydrodamalis_gigas_skeleton_-_Finnish_Museum_of_Natural_History_-_DSC04529.JPG

and 

"Skinny Boned" as seen here....

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dugong_dugon_(skeleton)_at_Göteborgs_Naturhistoriska_Museum_7976.jpg

Usually what I encounter in SW FL appears to be the rib bones of the  "Big Boned" variety but I can see how a Skinny boned version would match the item found above.

Unfortunately I'm not well versed enough in Dugong to know if the skinny grows into the big boned or if they are different species or eras.

Thanks for the input,

Calvin

Hopefully @Harry PristisPristis will chime in with his opinions before you hurl it into the yard. Haha!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I agree with a rather well worn whale tooth.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Looks cetacean to me. But, it is not preserved very well and I'm unable to identify it further than Odontoceti indet.