Slough Hunting feeding Myakka River FL

Calvin Jenkins

So I tried something different today and followed a slough that feeds the Myakka River.  Slough in FL usually means a creek that doesn't flow all year, and now that it is the dry season you can walk the bottom of dry river beds.  I'm trying to put some of my limited understanding of river hydro and fossil movement into practice.  Commonly you are told to search the curves, look under fallen trees, between rocks and search were the water flow becomes slower.  I've only had luck with velocity transition areas (narrow to wide).  Another surprise is the depth of fossil deposits in a slough, 8-9" under sand but I think this may make sense if you realize that during flood season the creek bed is furiously moving material but as it drys, more & more sediment layers cover the (desirable) fossil material.  And the last surprise for me has been "caves" or "tunnels", in two separate locations there is a ground opening that obviously goes down stream but neither appeared to have an exit.  I haven't been brave enough to try to explore these "caves" yet as they are pretty small and I imagine they may have some summer inhabitants that I'd rather not meet in a confined space (but the thoughts of a potential fossil bonanza is really tempting). 

No real treasure discovered, other than the un identified tooth (posted to the ID page) and a non fossilized rabbit jaw bone.

Calvin

Myakka Slough.png.jpg