Fossilized humerus?

BrianHershey

Found this in a pile of river rock here in Kansas. It's heavy like a rock. I'm a newbie so need some help. It looks like a humerus to me and you can even see the different colors that show the marrow. From surfing the web I've seen very similar shapes of fossil humerus of porpoise, whale and alligator. Should I get back to that pile and keep looking? :)

bone_01.jpg

bone_02.jpg

bone_03.jpg

Edited by BrianHershey

It is suggestive of the mussel attachment sites on the end of a long bone. I'm afraid the texture is not that of bone though. Sorry, but the darker area is the result of the minerals having been exposed after the rock had weathered.

It is the right type of rock, and more looking is always encouraged around here :)

I agree - this isn't a bone, but a look-alike rock.  

Many of us get fooled from time to time with these.

You could call this a pseudofossil - a rock that looks like a fossil. ;) 

Ma nature can be sneaky. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the forum.  Kansas has lots of cool fossils including great cretaceous ones.   Unfortunately like the others have said yours is not one,  lacks bone structure.