Reptilia

How to Restore and Repair Megalodon Teeth

steelhead9

Excellent, informative post. I would only add that the putty can be sanded with fine sandpaper and finished with steel wool to make the enamel area as smooth as glass. Very nice prep work. 

CBOB

What a great post!  Thanks for sharing this.  I too wanted to try this method on a few of my not-so-perfect megs.

Reptilia
1 hour ago, steelhead9 said:

Excellent, informative post. I would only add that the putty can be sanded with fine sandpaper and finished with steel wool to make the enamel area as smooth as glass. Very nice prep work. 

This is great feedback!! I'd never thought to try this, but will definitely do so from now on. Thanks so much, steelhead9!

digit

Excellent resource that is a good candidate for a pinned topic (@JohnJ or @Fossildude19).

Cheers.

-Ken

Fossildude19
15 minutes ago, digit said:

Excellent resource that is a good candidate for a pinned topic (@JohnJ or @Fossildude19).

Cheers.

-Ken

As mentioned in a different topic, we are currently trying to come up with a format for getting great topics such as this highlighted in a way other than pinning, as some of the pinned topic lists in the sub-forums are getting pretty long. We are testing a possible solution as we speak.  It needs a bit more tweaking, but we'll get there. ;) 

In the meantime, we will discuss pinning this topic amongst the admin and moderation team.  

digit

Great to know that you all are working behind the scenes to continually improve and polish the shining star that is TFF.

Cheers.

-Ken

mattbsharks

this is great! I have lots of broken megs and this is giving me the motivation to try to repair them.

mattbsharks

This post inspired me to repair my meg teeth. I tried to use epoxy putty. Just so everyone knows, Michaels, and AC Moore do not carry epoxy putty. Ace Hardware store has small tubes of it but the epoxy putty they carry is very sticky and liquidy and does not do the trick. I am going to order PaleoBond Sculp Hardener and PaleoBond Sculp Resin tonight. The epoxy resin was so sticky that I spent literally half an hour washing my hands off. If anyone has the same misfortune as me and ends up using Ace hardware epoxy, the best way to wash it off is using dawn dish soap.

sseth

Thanks for sharing.

fossilselachian

Do you utilize a razor blade to create serrations?

mattbsharks
On 12/12/2017 at 5:00 PM, fossilselachian said:

Do you utilize a razor blade to create serrations?

Yes. A box cutter or xacto knife will do the trick

Vaniman

Awesome work here! Looks great. 

Thecosmilia Trichitoma

You can also use Play Dough although it can be hard to get the right colors as you don't have a lot of colors to mix with.