Max-fossils

Hi all,

During my May holidays, I will be going to South Africa for a safari! :ighappy:

I am very excited about the trip. 

We are also going to spend a few days in Cape Town, and I saw that it was possible to hunt for fossils there (finds include sharkteeth, like megs or great whites), on the beaches Big bay beach and Milnerton Beach.

https://english.fossiel.net/sites/fossil_site.php?plaats=287

But I remember hearing that fossil collecting in South Africa is forbidden. But that surprises me, because nowhere on the link above does it say that it's forbidden to hunt, in fact it seems more as if they encourage you to hunt...

Therefore I was wondering: is it possible to hunt at Cape Town? If yes, under what terms? If no, then why would Fossiel.net supply a location description that's illegal?

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

South Africa is dead serious about their fossils staying in their hands.

• I found this Informative 1

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

4 hours ago, doushantuo said:

4 hours ago, doushantuo said:

1 hour ago, sixgill pete said:

South Africa is dead serious about their fossils staying in their hands.

Alright, that's disappointing to hear :ank:

No fossil hunting for me then, and from what I read in the links from @doushantuo it's impossible to get a permit...

But what I don't understand is that Fossiel.net publishes all the info about this location. even though it's forbidden to hunt...

Thanks!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Maybe you should ask the administrators of Fossiel.net about that.  I don't know why people here on the fossil forum would be qualified to answer your question.

I will say that people can post almost anything online.  It is your responsibility and no-one else's to ensure that you are following the law.  "I read about it on the internet" is not a valid legal defense.

I will also point out that there is a difference between collecting and taking something home in your own country, and taking fossils out of the country and by so doing crossing borders.  It may not be legal to even so much as pick a shark tooth off a beach and take it home, but if the beach is not patrolled you are unlikely to be stopped and searched while driving home, so it may be possible to get away with illegally collecting for years and not possibly even know what you are doing is illegal.  If you show up at the airport with a suitcase full of rocks your experience is likely to be different.

Don

• I found this Informative 4

I too am hoping to visit Kruger N.P. this year (logistics fell apart for a trip there last year). I also checked into the potential of adding a little fossil hunting to this trip (as I was able to do in Beaurmaris, Australia on the trip that replaced the South Africa trip last year). It didn't take too long to learn online that I wanted to avoid taking anything back from South Africa other than photos and memories. I can understand that with important anthropological fossils existing at sites like Rising Star Cave that the country would be very protective of its fossil heritage. It would be nice if things like shark teeth or inverts/plant material were allowed to be collected and exported but perhaps it is simpler to enforce a zero-tolerance ban on exporting any fossils.

Enjoy your safari. Take lots of photos and post some on the Nature or Wildlife topics on this forum so we can all drool over the images. Leave the rocks where they are. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

Hi Max!

I know nothing about collecting fossils in South Africa, but I just wanted to tell you that you're in for a treat - I visited the country with my dad way back in January/February 2005 and we had an amazing time!!!  We spent 3-4 days driving through Kruger National Park with a guide and it was unbelievable - we even had lions mating right next to our vehicle!!!  We then spent 2 days visiting Victoria Falls in Zambia and the rest of our 2-week trip was spent in and around Cape Town where we went to the top of Table Mountain, visited Robben Island, did a wine tour, etc.  Oh how I wish I could do it again...  Maybe one day...

Enjoy your travels, and let us know about your adventure when you return!

Monica

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Maybe you should ask the administrators of Fossiel.net about that.  I don't know why people here on the fossil forum would be qualified to answer your question.

I will say that people can post almost anything online.  It is your responsibility and no-one else's to ensure that you are following the law.  "I read about it on the internet" is not a valid legal defense.

I will also point out that there is a difference between collecting and taking something home in your own country, and taking fossils out of the country and by so doing crossing borders.  It may not be legal to even so much as pick a shark tooth off a beach and take it home, but if the beach is not patrolled you are unlikely to be stopped and searched while driving home, so it may be possible to get away with illegally collecting for years and not possibly even know what you are doing is illegal.  If you show up at the airport with a suitcase full of rocks your experience is likely to be different.

Don

3 hours ago, digit said:

I too am hoping to visit Kruger N.P. this year (logistics fell apart for a trip there last year). I also checked into the potential of adding a little fossil hunting to this trip (as I was able to do in Beaurmaris, Australia on the trip that replaced the South Africa trip last year). It didn't take too long to learn online that I wanted to avoid taking anything back from South Africa other than photos and memories. I can understand that with important anthropological fossils existing at sites like Rising Star Cave that the country would be very protective of its fossil heritage. It would be nice if things like shark teeth or inverts/plant material were allowed to be collected and exported but perhaps it is simpler to enforce a zero-tolerance ban on exporting any fossils.

Enjoy your safari. Take lots of photos and post some on the Nature or Wildlife topics on this forum so we can all drool over the images. Leave the rocks where they are. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

2 hours ago, Monica said:

Hi Max!

I know nothing about collecting fossils in South Africa, but I just wanted to tell you that you're in for a treat - I visited the country with my dad way back in January/February 2005 and we had an amazing time!!!  We spent 3-4 days driving through Kruger National Park with a guide and it was unbelievable - we even had lions mating right next to our vehicle!!!  We then spent 2 days visiting Victoria Falls in Zambia and the rest of our 2-week trip was spent in and around Cape Town where we went to the top of Table Mountain, visited Robben Island, did a wine tour, etc.  Oh how I wish I could do it again...  Maybe one day...

Enjoy your travels, and let us know about your adventure when you return!

Monica

Thanks everyone! It's a shame indeed that some countries are so strict about fossil hunting... 

But at least the safari part will probably be great! We're not going to Kruger, instead we're going to Madikwe. Apparently (this is coming from my mom) Kruger recently put concrete roads in the whole park, and everything is modernized, meaning that there isn't the authentic safari adventure anymore. Also, Madikwe has more animal species, and you have a bigger chance to encounter the big five. It sure is going to be a fun trip, even without the fossil hunting!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

I've heard the same about Madikwe. Our itinerary last year (before things fell apart--we waited too late) included a week there as well. It's not as well known and less developed/visited. There are better chances of seeing some species there than at Kruger.

Take lots of photos.

Cheers.

-Ken

3 minutes ago, digit said:

I've heard the same about Madikwe. Our itinerary last year (before things fell apart--we waited too late) included a week there as well. It's not as well known and less developed/visited. There are better chances of seeing some species there than at Kruger.

Take lots of photos.

Cheers.

-Ken

That's correct! And I will take as many photos as I can!

Max Derème