Brazos River, Texas - Big Bird?

Mike Price

Brazos River, Texas

This "bird thing" came out of a working sand pit on the Brazos River 20 yrs ago when a drag line crossed a clay fossil vein. I dug around for a few days and found a few other small black companion bones to this "bird thing", that I can't currently find, in the same layer of Brazos orange clay. I think bird thing floated down here from someplace else just waiting for me to find it so I could post it on Fossil Forum.

The pit flooded a few months later and is owned by another family today.

I've searched for other bird fossils and profile examples and I've only found a few.

Side note: They found a bloat and float mammoth at another Vernor sand pit in Clute Tx in 2004. The site is only a couple of miles as a crow flys from the Brazos river. They opened a restaurant and dive club in the pit....

I'm still hoping to find my bloat and float one day.....)

http://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Skull-from-Ice-Age-mammoth-unearthed-in-Clute-1982484.php

Screenshot_2017-03-22-00-32-35-1.png

37 minutes ago, Mike Price said:

I'll take a few more pics tomorrow. Let me know what angle you want.

I think You covered it pretty well.

Really neat looking iron concretion.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Iron?

It feels like some type of asphaltum. It has a hard rubber texture and is very light.

Ok, I will.

I'll also take it to the post office tomorrow and get it weighed. Its definitely a rubber type substance.

6 minutes ago, Mike Price said:

Its definitely a rubber type substance.

Can You actually bend it?

Is it pliable?

If it is it could be some type of man made rubbish.

No, it is not pliable at all. It's so light, its kind of brittle. The very tip of the beak broke off years ago after it fully dried. I glued it back on to keep from losing it. And misplaced the companion bones, when I stored it away properly. The other 3 small bones are here someplace.

Yes, it burns black smoke and smells

like road tar. (Think bird covered in a oil spill?)

It dont float now. It dont totally sink. It holds a bob on the bottom of the sink.  That's how it floated or bobbed to the Texas coast, me thinks... I think, it floated or bobbed here from someplace else a very long time ago and come to rest in a fossilized clay vein in a sand pit 30 ft deep. But I'm just a amateur.

Some type of putty or paint? 

Man made for sure, however. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

"Man made for sure, however"

No, your not sure it is man made. You have no idea what it's made of.

Discounting the possibility of contamination during excavation, I think drag line activity may imply deposition prior to such human activities.

It may be of interest to research gilsonite.

If anyone knows a person or place that might like to study it and try to at least confirm the type material, I will pay to send it. 

The nearest university is 50 miles away in Houston. I let a guy from the county museum look at it years ago. His educated arrogance and inflated ego was no more interested than he was about the bloat & float mammoth that was discovered in another sand pit a few miles away. I've never bothered to show or tell him or anyone else about any of the nice fossils and artifacts, Ive seen or found in this county since.

That is why, I'm offering to send it to someone that would take a genuine interest to see it and study it. If only to figure out the material. Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, Mike Price said:

Yes, it burns black smoke and smells

like road tar.

There are very few natural rocks that will burn and fewer that will float (even "bob"). It could be tar from the dredge or a contaminant that washed into the pit rather than being dug from the clay.

Have to agree with Tim on this one being (most likely) a man made object. Either way it is not a bird fossil.

• I found this Informative 1