Echioceras sp. Charmouth & questions please?

UweLovesFossils

Dear all,

first post to this wonderful forum. 

I have recently been with friends in Lyme Regis and Charmouth and it was very productive. One friend found part of a fossilised fish in Lyme Regis, one a  Crinoidea with filaments and all of us loads of ammonites. 

Can you help me identifying this one please and answer a few questions?

I believe it is Echioceras raricostatum  and here is my thinking:

a) locality: Charmouth beach, left from car park

b ) one keel on venter, visible under pyritised venter and just in one pyrite free spot

c ) sutures ammonoid ( but I guess that is true for crucilobiceras densidodulum and other eoderoceras sp. too from that location)

d) quite rectangular whorl shape and well visible ribs up into inner whorls - again, I guess that

latter is true for crucilobiceras densidodulum and other eoderoceras sp. too from that location

e ) ribs fade out at venter corner but seem to dive down to keel at the same time - if I see that correctly, then this seems to be typical for echioceras

f) where the outer whorl ribs are not damaged, they do not show spikes or tubercles, which should exclude eoderoceras sp.

g) whorls very evolute  (true again also for crucilobiceras densidodulum and other eoderoceras sp. from that location)

Questions:

1) is my argumentation and identification attempt sound? 

2) have I missed something that could have been helpful in identification?

3) am I right in assuming that I  cannot remove the pyritized material, overlaying the pyrite inner whorls?

4) lastly some pure speculative question: there is a potential macroconch aligning the body chamber exit with the body chamber from the main fossil. Could those two have been buried whilst mating?

I hope this post is not too long and someone can help me?

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2660.JPG

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG

Edited by UweLovesFossils
Additional identification item added

Hi, i think you're right but i'm not able to give you a real good ID, i mostly want to share with you that link Here, you'll se if your ID is right or not.

Sophie.

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Welcome to the forum. I agree with you. That does appear to be E.raricostatum. That species is very profusive at Charmouth. I'd leave it as is, since the pyrite may be "baked" onto the whorls.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/