South Carolina - Worm Trails?

angakh

I have no idea what this is, or if it is even a fossil. If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. Thank you.

17458382_10154449340310318_2558845576082828128_n.jpg

Is your piece a stone or something soft and light, where did you find it ? That would indicate us their possible age and then if they are marine or terrestrial.

Because even if those are galleries of modern worms they nontheless can be yet fossilized or on their way to fossilization.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

They were found on the shores in South Carolina and it is a stone. Thank you for looking at this I appreciate it.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, fifbrindacier said:

Is your piece a stone or something soft and light, where did you find it ? That would indicate us their possible age and then if they are marine or terrestrial.

Because even if those are galleries of modern worms they nontheless can be yet fossilized or on their way to fossilization.

If this type of rock were to match a nearby exposure where Neogene fossils were known to be found I would definitely reconsider. 

These are serpulid worms (or some other type of tube worm) that were attached to the inside of a clam shell. The clam shell dissolved away leaving the attached part of the worm tubes exposed and an impression the inside of the clam.

• I found this Informative 4

14 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

If this type of rock were to match a nearby exposure where Neogene fossils were known to be found I would definitely reconsider. 

And just in the nick of time :)

I have more information regarding this. And honestly thank you so much for your help, this has been an amazing experience, you have a great community here.

The rock is actually lighter than what you would expect from a rock that size and it is very smooth. It was found on Onslow beach in North Carolina (my apologies for stating it was south carolina, not sure it makes much of a difference).

Thank you again for your help in the identification of this.

Edited by angakh