Devonian Coral

Kane

Just trying to nail down a species ID for this coral (part of a much larger chunk with some interesting epibionts) found in the Dundee Formation, Devonian. I know IDing corals is never all that easy without sometimes doing slices, but the corallites here are fairly distinct and matrix-free. Any help would certainly be appreciated so I can label this one for display.

IMG_3051.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Not sure... :headscratch:From the halysites I've seen, the corallites tend to look more like chains. These ones seem a bit too close together - almost scleractinian in appearance. Here's a closeup of the corallite structure using the digital microscope.

S20170319_002.jpg

I'm pretty far from any coral reef unless someone salted the area I found it in. :P

The density, mass, and the way it fractures seems to suggest rock. But I can't be 100% sure.

I would expect Devonian coral to be completely mineralized. The corallites in your specimen look like a good match for Siderastrea, a Neogene (and modern) coral.

siderastrea.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

an auloporid perhaps,or Disphyllum?

edit:Disphyllia,of course.Stupid mistake

Synaptophyllum?

Later on in the thread Tarq will come along and andprobably make me look like an idiot(again:P)

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

an auloporid perhaps,or Disphyllum?

edit:Disphyllia,of course.Stupid mistake

Synaptophyllum?

Later on in the thread Tarq will come along and andprobably make me look like an idiot(again:P)

Never! - and what do you mean, "again" :D

I don't know much about Devonian corals but I think a disphyllid is probably right. It looks similar to Haplothecia from the UK but that's not listed in the Treatise from Canada or USA.

Try Kuangxiastraea as a Canadian possibility, it's been synonymised with some "Haplothecia" from Western Canada in this tasty looking book but I can't access pictures: 

Frasnian (Upper Devonian) Colonial Disphyllid Corals from Western Canada  (I know Dundee Formation is Middle Devonian but it might help.)

Here's a Haplothecia from Devon:

IMG_2335.jpg.57891bf5899d1109cf19529b3eac0296.jpg

Tarquin

9 minutes ago, TqB said:

Try Kuangxiastraea as a Canadian possibility, it's been synonymised with some "Haplothecia" from Western Canada in this tasty looking book but I can't access pictures: 

Frasnian (Upper Devonian) Colonial Disphyllid Corals from Western Canada.

Please send me a PM with your email address and I will send the pdf. :fistbump:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks to piranha, I've seen the plates from the paper I mentioned. OK, it's just Upper Devonian material but I'm wondering if it's actually a species of Hexagonaria.

That's not the only possibility though so one or two sections and someone who knows what they're talking about are probably needed. :) 

Forgot to say it's a beautiful specimen - you could call it a disphyllid (family Disphyllidae) until someone narrows it down. (And I couldn't honestly tell it from a scleractinian if it wasn't a Devonian location.)

Tarquin

I generally perceive corals as somewhat dull findings, but this has generated a lot of discussion. I'm grateful to you all! :)

4 hours ago, doushantuo said:

"dull findings"????

:P

*kicks posterior dorsal side of Kane*

Seconded. :D

Tarquin