RJB

My one and only sentimental crab fossil !!!

RJB

Ok, Once I got a real good look at this crab conc I realized that I wasn't just going to get away with smoothing out the rock.  I had lots of rock to remove.  I told the misses that I was most likely going to be in the garage for 6 hours.  Ha!!  After 7 and 1/2 hours I was still not done.  I had to remove enough rock before I could 'smooth out'  the rock to make it flow the way I wanted.  in doing so, I found some more tippy tippy's and even the last of the first leg on the left side.  What a great thing!!!   I was as happy as I could be.  Didn't care one bit that it took more time either!   Just as happy as I could be.  But now you can see, and I can see also that ive become a much better crab preparatory.  Quite nice if you ask me. 

RB

redocrab001B.JPG

redocrab001C.JPG

fossisle

Good to have that one!!

Ludwigia

Great story, Ron. Never mind the spelling, just glad you survived to tell it. Pieces with a story background like that are really something special, I find. You did a nice job finishing it off too.

Darktooth

Thanks for sharing your story, and wonderful prep work!

jpc

I think I remember you telling this story on the old California Fossil Forum, some 20 yrs ago.  

RJB

Hey Ludwigia:   Not finished yet, but close.  Only about 3 hours to go.

JP:   I don't think Ive ever put this story out on the internet? 

RB

redocrab001D.JPG

RJB

I also decided to fix up the rock on the back side.  Looked real messy and very unproffesional.   Here are some before and after pics of the back side. 

RB

redocrab001F.JPG

redocrab001G.JPG

RJB

You can see one of the above pics where I put in some 'fake' rock and today I finished that up. Doesn't look too bad?    I also did some 2 part putty yesterday and today finished up with a small about of acrylic work and sauced it up.  Its now done.  Now it can go into the cabinet.   Taaa Daaa!!!   and a Wooooop!!  Wooooop!!

Oh, I put in an average sized crab to show just how big this thing is.  and also. thank you aero grower. 

RB

redocrab001E.JPG

Ptychodus04

@RJB that's a great story, and a great crab. I always knew you were a closet sentimental.:P

It's memories like these that keep us going back for more. Thanks for sharing.

ynot

Boy what some people will do to get others to carry thier finds back to the car!:rofl:

Nice story and crab!:wub:

Thanks for sharing.

Wrangellian

Thanks for sharing. The best prep jobs are works of art as well as being potentially useful for science (and not overworked).

You give a good sense of what goes into prepping and how it is done (though not the only thread you've made that does so, I know)... And aerogrower's cube is helpful! The crabs are bigger than I thought.

I've got so many fossils from my years of collecting that are in need of prepping, but don't get it because I'm not a prepper, so they will probably remain unprepped until they get into someone else's hands, but I think it would be nice to have at least a few of my first early sentimental fossils prepped... someday.

RJB

Thanks Wrangellian. It amazes me that you can have so much unprepped stuff and not turn into a preparatory?   Just seems so natural to me to do my own prepping. 

RB

aerogrower

Beautiful, and im glad you cleared up what the brown looking stuff in the first pics. What is it and how did you get it the color of the rock in the finished pics?

Wrangellian
11 hours ago, RJB said:

Thanks Wrangellian. It amazes me that you can have so much unprepped stuff and not turn into a preparatory?   Just seems so natural to me to do my own prepping. 

RB

Part of it is my perpetual lack of money, and I know that the equipment needed to do a good job on this fragile (or very hard) material is more costly than dental picks and such. The other part is I don't think I have the steadiest hand... and I can't imagine my hand not getting numb after so many hours of vibration!

RJB

By Aerogrower:  Beautiful, and im glad you cleared up what the brown looking stuff in the first pics. What is it and how did you get it the color of the rock in the finished pics?

Im not sure if I understand your question?

RB

aerogrower
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:48 PM, RJB said:

Hey Ludwigia:   Not finished yet, but close.  Only about 3 hours to go.

JP:   I don't think Ive ever put this story out on the internet? 

RB

redocrab001D.JPG

The area right above the photo cube looks brown or at least a different color than the rest of rock?

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:01 PM, RJB said:

You can see one of the above pics where I put in some 'fake' rock and today I finished that up. Doesn't look too bad?    I also did some 2 part putty yesterday and today finished up with a small about of acrylic work and sauced it up.  Its now done.  Now it can go into the cabinet.   Taaa Daaa!!!   and a Wooooop!!  Wooooop!!

Oh, I put in an average sized crab to show just how big this thing is.  and also. thank you aero grower. 

RB

redocrab001E.JPG

Here it is all nice and pretty and the same color.

RJB

Aerogrower:  I get it now.  Those darker areas are where I put in my homemade fake rock powder and then soak it with cyanoacrylate.  Then about 24 hours later I shape it with my scribe.  Its not perfect but it does look much better once done. 

RB

old bones

Great story and wonderful crab. I always enjoy seeing your work. :)