Longboatman

This looks an awful lot like a Trilobite to me...found it by a brackish lake while trekking through the Arctic! If it is they're still living up here!

Trilobite.jpg

Found this while trekking through the Arctic. Looks a lot like a Trilobite to me. Found a few of these washed up on the shores of a brackish lake here. Can anyone identify what it is?

Trilobite.jpg

What is the size of this?

It looks like an isopod to me.

Arctic Isopod  - Saduria sibirica

33739_arctic-isopods-saduria-sibirica-1.

Pretty good match, I think:

Trilobite.thumb.jpg-horz.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Cool find, even if not a trilobite. The word trilobite means three lobes. They are called like this because they are composed of three longitudinal lobes : pleurae ribs on each side and between them the "ribs" of the rachis.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Hello, @Longboatman, from a fellow (but more southern!) Canuck!

I was just wondering where in the Arctic you are?  Back in the summers of 1999 and 2000, I went to Resolute, Nunavut for a university summer job, and I was able to find fossils at a location called "Cape Martyr."  It's a pretty big hill o' rocks close to the coast, and there I was able to find brachiopods, a solitary rugose coral, and a trilobite (identified by someone here on the forum as Encrinurus hyperboreus).  So, if you're ever close to Resolute, you should definitely check it out!!!

Monica

11 hours ago, Longboatman said:

This looks an awful lot like a Trilobite to me...found it by a brackish lake while trekking through the Arctic! If it is they're still living up here!

Trilobite.jpg

That's a type of isopod. They are an alltogether different branch. They may look similar to Trilobites but aren't closely related at all.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 minute ago, Longboatman said:

Thanks! Was hoping I found the missing link! lol

No, but a cool critter, none the less. ;) 

Happy Hunting.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Monica said:

Hello, @Longboatman, from a fellow (but more southern!) Canuck!

I was just wondering where in the Arctic you are?  Back in the summers of 1999 and 2000, I went to Resolute, Nunavut for a university summer job, and I was able to find fossils at a location called "Cape Martyr."  It's a pretty big hill o' rocks close to the coast, and there I was able to find brachiopods, a solitary rugose coral, and a trilobite (identified by someone here on the forum as Encrinurus hyperboreus).  So, if you're ever close to Resolute, you should definitely check it out!!!

Monica

Hi Monica,

I'm in a community on the south coast of Baffin Island...Kimmirut. Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get back trekking out on the land. It's an amazing place surrounded by lakes, rivers, waterfalls, mountains.... Have seen various fossils here embedded in rock and hope to get some photos this summer to post on here.

10 minutes ago, Longboatman said:

Hi Monica,

I'm in a community on the south coast of Baffin Island...Kimmirut. Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get back trekking out on the land. It's an amazing place surrounded by lakes, rivers, waterfalls, mountains.... Have seen various fossils here embedded in rock and hope to get some photos this summer to post on here.

How amazing is this!  Kimmirut (population 389 according to Google) has to be one of the more isolated communities in the world, yet you can join our world-wide community of fossil enthusiasts with a few clicks of a mouse.  I hope you do show us photos of the local fossils, but don't neglect to show us photos of your beautiful landscape. 

I have a small collection of Permian fossils from Red Rock Creek in northern Ellesmere Island.  They are a beautiful deep red color due to iron minerals.  I'm lucky to have them, not least because they were collected before the area was made a park, and collecting is now forbidden.

I'm curious, have you noticed if the winters seem shorter/less severe in recent years?

Don

Hi.

i am curious with this find.  Longboatman said that it washed up from a lake.  So this was not a fossil, right.  It was not enbedded in rock ?!

it is soft body still, right?

Kay

9 minutes ago, Kayanddog said:

Hi.

i am curious with this find.  Longboatman said that it washed up from a lake.  So this was not a fossil, right.  It was not enbedded in rock ?!

it is soft body still, right?

Kay

Yes, it is not a fossil. It is an extant and very recent specimen.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I have a trilobite that i acquired in a rock shop in Arizona.  Its about 3" X2".  Its looked muddy. When i wet it in water the surface became sofe and flaky.  See enclosed photo.  I was wondering if it was a flake. Or it was enbedded in mud and just never fossilized.?   What do you think.  I paid $20 for it.

IMG_5359.JPG

3 hours ago, Kayanddog said:

I have a trilobite that i acquired in a rock shop in Arizona.  Its about 3" X2".  Its looked muddy. When i wet it in water the surface became sofe and flaky.  See enclosed photo.  I was wondering if it was a flake. Or it was enbedded in mud and just never fossilized.?   What do you think.  I paid $20 for it.

IMG_5359.JPG

Hi Kay!

To me, your specimen looks like it might be Flexicalymene ouzregui (a Moroccan trilobite), but there are many forum members who are more knowledgeable about trilobites than me - I'm sure they will be able to say for certain what trilo you have.

Monica

Monica is correct: Flexicalymene ouzregui. These are the most common trilobites exported from Morocco (I have a few), and are really not worth the effort to fake. I'd say the price you paid is reasonably fair for its size and condition. I've seen them in the $10-20 range, again depending on size, condition, and quality of prep work.

Yours looks like it had a major crack and had to be partially restored with some glue, but it is certainly real. :)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hi Kay, i also agree your trilobite is a flexicalymene ouzregui. Real, and with a correct price.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Archived