Terrie

I have found several gray rocks that are embedded with interesting items.  Some even have markings like scales and fins with what seem to be bones protruding.  I wonder if they could be coprolite?  This is just one of the rocks I've found.  I will post more of them for you to identify.  This one is about 6.5 in.  Thanks.  Terrie

Schep2.JPG

Schep.JPG

Schep3.JPG

Schep4.JPG

Schep5.JPG

I think we need some expert coprolite eyes on this. :) 

@GeschWhat             @Carl   

My own feeling is that this is a sandstone concretion, with some sort of inclusions. :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi Terrie, maybe @GeschWhat should snail in. Maybe could you put a bit of vinegar on a part that doesn't show inclusions and see if it fizzes.

Besides, i'm sure GeschWhat will ask you to put your tongue on it to see if it sticks on it or no.:)

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Hmm...it is hard to say with this one. First, let me welcome you to the forum!

I haven't seen any coprolites that look like this from SC, but that doesn't mean it isn't a possibility. The only thing that looks like it could be an inclusion in this one I have circled in red. However, it really doesn't look like bone. Carnivore coprolites are primarily comprised of calcium phosphate...the same mineral that is found in bone. This one looks porous, so I would do the "lick test." What you do is touch it to the tip of your tongue. If it sticks, I'd say it is coprolite. If you are not that brave, you can just wet you finger and touch it to see if it feels sticky. Personally, I think the latter isn't nearly enough fun. I can't wait to see the rest! :P

I just went to your website.  You have some coprolite there with inclusions as you say, and I recognize them.  My photos may not be as good.  Tim could not see inclusions.  Can you guys see in the lower left corner the cylinder shapes?

Interesting piece! I hope it sticks to your tongue!

She is right, they are MUCH more fun to lick!

13 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Interesting piece! I hope it sticks to your tongue!

She is right, they are MUCH more fun to lick!

Yep.;)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

36 minutes ago, Terrie said:

Does the fizz test prove coprolite?  Remember, I'm a new and tender babe here. :)

33 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

No. Regular limestone fizzes as well. It will, however, dissolve some coprolites leaving bone/scale inclusions intact. 

In fact, the acid of the vinegar dissolves all calcareous things : limestone, chalk, calcite... it helps in knowing what kind of rock one have.

In memory of Doren

First let me thank everyone for welcoming me.   I guess I shouldn't have used a catch-all lay term "rock".  Lol.  I'm learning already!  It is indeed a concretion and to be more specific, the large number of these concretions were found on the beaches after hurricane Matthew.  I Googled "example" of a concretion, and was amazed to see examples of huge concretions that look exactly like my smaller ones.  I am an artist, and notice details sometimes that others don't.  The "example" photo on the site shows something I noticed in my own concretions.  Some of them have "curls" on the ends.  The photos I've provided show this curling effect.  Any idea what causes that?

14 hours ago, Terrie said:

I just went to your website.  You have some coprolite there with inclusions as you say, and I recognize them.  My photos may not be as good.  Tim could not see inclusions.  Can you guys see in the lower left corner the cylinder shapes?

Au contraire: I could see the inclusions.

14 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

I think we need some expert coprolite eyes on this. :) 

@GeschWhat             @Carl   

My own feeling is that this is a sandstone concretion, with some sort of inclusions. :unsure: 

I just don't think they are bone or teeth. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with Tim, I don't think the inclusions are bone or teeth. Concretions are fascinating, but so little is really known about them. Someone here on the forum posted a really interesting paper on concretions not that long ago, but I can't remember which thread. It probably came from @abyssunder, he is like our very own library (if it was someone else, forgive me). If I remember right, it discussed the "curling" I think you are referring to. I love collecting concretions almost as much as coprolites. I think it is the pareidolia aspect of them. Here are a few of my favorite hematite concretions from the Lance Formation. 

IMG_2909 (Edited).JPG

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Found it. The paper is on THIS thread. It was @Doctor Mud who posted it.  As an artist, you will probably really enjoy the whole thread. Truly, Mother Nature at her finest!

Yes, for sure, i as, i think, the majority of us had great difficulties to admit this piece was a natural one.

In memory of Doren

Thank you guys!  I will read the paper.  I apologize for not really getting my point across well.  I have boxes full of concretions.  The one I sent you doesn't have what I call fins and scales.  Again it's my fault for not getting my head together before I started typing.  There are "impressions" in the concretions that look like fins and scales.  I had one that looked so much like a fish that I painted it.  There are spines on it and where it has been broken, it looks just like the flesh of a fish (layers).   This leads me to think that the reason concretions start to begin with is possibly dead decaying organisms that are "sticky", fall down into a muddy marsh where they get covered over with sand and silt.  If they roll around and pick up matter eventually either growing in size and taking on a shape of a ball or retaining the original shape of the decaying animal...  The reason I believe this, is because I have found concretions in the process of forming.  They  are gooey and soft.  Found one the other day that someone stepped on and left their shoe print in.  I'll post some other photos later.  

looks like a weathered chunk of Cretaceous Peedee Formation such as one would find in the surf in the Myrtle Beach area. Burrows of a number of sorts are often found in this sediment as well as casts and molds of mollusks. I don't think this is a concretion but am only guessing on what we know.

• I found this Informative 3

@ Plax thank you.  I've never heard of the Cretaceous Peedee Formations.  Googled it.  I think you have nailed it.  Would love to show and discuss these with someone.  Not sure how far Rocky Point is from here.  Are you ever in the Brunswick County area or at a museum/dig site?  I hope it is okay to ask.

Edited by Terrie
needed to add more comment.

Holden Beach was loaded with these a few years ago. The rock fragments get rounded as they tumble through the dredge pipe pretty much like a rock tumbler. Some of them are also concretionary but don't resemble the examples previously cited. Large crabs such as Avitelmessus and Ophthalmoplax are rarely found in these Peedee concretions. Rocky Point is between Burgaw and Wilmington.