Mastodon Tooth

Fossiljones

Okay, So... I don't really need help to ID this recent find.

I just wanted to show it off.

I really enjoy and appreciate this forum... so many knowledgeable and helpful people here.

DSC09145_01.thumb.JPG.61125a590821ec3c3b4a37e383dc329f.JPG

Can you post photos of the chewing surface, tell us its size and where does it comes from (the USA are very wide) ?

If you only want to show it, you can post it either in the thread fossil of the month, in the gallery or in the collections.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

It is a gorgeous find!! So many of these are missing the roots.  Congratulations!!!

Here is a Peace River Florida find that I am hugely proud of -- note the minimum amount of roots. Shellseeker

Mastodon_PeaceRiver_March2012.thumb.jpg.a52996ca46262b40c18ad54d846d9a27.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

54 minutes ago, Fossiljones said:

I just wanted to show it off.

You should use the "Members collections" sub forum to show Your fossils.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/4-member-collections/

The fossil of the month is a sub forum for a contest and is for fossils found during the month of the contest.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/150-fossil-of-the-month/

Nice find!:dinothumb:

If You found it this month it is worthy of entry into the fossil of the month contest.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hey all, Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

Fifbrindacier:

I found this while river diving in South Carolina, it was at a depth of forty feet.

It's a 13 hour drive from my home to the boat launch, but I try to go as often as I can.

The chewing surface isn't nearly as pretty as the side view.

It looks like this guy was only using the inner half of the tooth.

The inner's that aren't missing are worn down to nubs, the outer's look new.

I've not cleaned it yet, this is just how it came out of the river.

I'm in the process of de-salinating it.

DSC09147_01.thumb.JPG.b96f5be5e72861e0003d437cfc1bab1e.JPG

23 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

It is a gorgeous find!! So many of these are missing the roots.  Congratulations!!!

Here is a Peace River Florida find that I am hugely proud of -- note the minimum amount of roots. Shellseeker

Mastodon_PeaceRiver_March2012.thumb.jpg.a52996ca46262b40c18ad54d846d9a27.jpg

Shellseeker, she's a beauty, very pretty.

Have you consolidated it?

Great tooth! :envy:

I do not have a Mastodon tooth in my collection yet aside from 1 small lump I found!

6 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Great tooth! :envy:

I do not have a Mastodon tooth in my collection yet aside from 1 small lump I found!

FossilDudeCO, I've also only found frags before this one.

Nice specimen, great find. Unfortunately, half of the "strings" was broken off. I can't imagine how could that happen, only on one side of the tooth, but everything is possible in Nature. The outer margins of some of the lophs look to be chewed, but the inner margins look to be broken.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

4 hours ago, Fossiljones said:

Hey all, Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

Fifbrindacier:

I found this while river diving in South Carolina, it was at a depth of forty feet.

It's a 13 hour drive from my home to the boat launch, but I try to go as often as I can.

The chewing surface isn't nearly as pretty as the side view.

It looks like this guy was only using the inner half of the tooth.

The inner's that aren't missing are worn down to nubs, the outer's look new.

I've not cleaned it yet, this is just how it came out of the river.

I'm in the process of de-salinating it.

DSC09147_01.thumb.JPG.b96f5be5e72861e0003d437cfc1bab1e.JPG

Thanks for those informations, it's really a very nice find.:)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Moved to the appropriate forum. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 3/24/2017 at 11:34 PM, Fossiljones said:

Shellseeker, she's a beauty, very pretty.

Have you consolidated it?

No.

I had some reasons although they may not be all that good. I was relatively new at fossil hunting and this was the 1st significant find that I might/should consolidate. However, I had seen some very poorly consolidated fossils at a Fossil Show,  did not feel confident that I could do it correctly my 1st try, and did not know how to contact others who were good at it and would perform the consolidation correctly. 

If you maximize resolution on the photos, you will see cracks in the enamel, thise exact cracks at that exact width existed when I found the tooth. There has been zero degradation over the last 5 years and the tooth looks exactly the same as the photos.

I am thinking that it does not require consolidation,  but I am curious of the opinions of those forum members who are expert consolidators OR who have stories of fossils falling apart after a lot of years staying solid as rocks.. 

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to ask the question..    Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

You are gambling with your prize.  Sooner or later, the tooth may fracture from internal stresses in the dentin.  No date-certain, but just probabilities are the tooth will have a problem.  Be safe.  Do what museums do . . . consolidate the specimen.

You can find extensive discussions in threads on TFF.  I've posted my techniques for consolidating your tooth on my TFF Profile.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

7 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

You are gambling with your prize.  Sooner or later, the tooth may fracture from internal stresses in the dentin.  No date-certain, but just probabilities are the tooth will have a problem.  Be safe.  Do what museums do . . . consolidate the specimen.

You can find extensive discussions in threads on TFF.  I've posted my techniques for consolidating your tooth on my TFF Profile.

Thanks Harry, 

Time pressure interferes and I needed a strong prod. I will pursue consolidation using your methods. Do you believe the crack lines were pre or post fossilization or no way to tell?

Archived