Just looking for a little advice on different preps

joshuajbelanger

Hey everyone

So I'm setting up a workshop outside for fossil prep.  I have tons of vertebrates and invertebrates to prep.  I'm pretty experienced with preserving fossils(butvar) but I've never done any real prep work.  So far, I've purchased a wet saw, stereomicroscope, rock tumbler, work bench, vice, and mini fridge(for the beer!)  I have a dremel and dremel engraver, I know the engraver doesn't compare to some of the air scribes, but it was cheap, and my limestone is extremely soft.  I have about 500 lbs of this limestone, and some beautiful examples(Ocala, Tampa, Bone Valley formation) fossils in the matrix.  These fossils range in calcite, aragonite, and Calcium Carbonate.  Any tips are purchases I should make would be welcome.  Particularly polishing and bringing out color.  Thanks in advance. 

-J

You have already determined the fundamental resource required for prep or any other worthy activity - beer. However, the sad paradox is; prepping requires some manual dexterity, which may be adversely influenced by the noble brew. 

Here are a few additions;

Protect your eyes! Protect your lungs! The level of protections required varies with the prep activity (e.g. Powered tool vs hand), but all require caution and consistent good practice.

You will like dental picks and a pin vise with carbide needles for fine work.

If your stereoscope is not already so equipped, you will need an ancillary Barlow lens to give you enough room to "work" under the 'scope. My rig is fitted with a B&L .5x Barlow and this works well for me.

Good luck and most of all have fun. I believe you will find prepping a very enjoyable pursuit. 

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Lol, yes the mighty brew is the most important!  I didn't want to list all the stuff I have, but it also includes dental picks, a half mask with particulate filters, goggles, face shield(I'm supervisor at an ammonia plant so I'm big on safety) and I do have two barlows.  Guess I'm pretty much set!  My wife always tells me that I never take before and after pics....maybe I should.

Don't forget hearing protection. You're going to want to plug up every time you start your engraver. Over time, it will mess you up. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way. I didn't think about hearing protection until I started having problems... At that point, you're just trying not to make it worse.

• I found this Informative 3

Huh,,,  what did you say?  Ha!   Engraver and hearing problems.  Never heard of that one.  Great tip Kris. 

RB