jgj1120789

Hello all!

I recently moved from Pennsylvania, to Surf City, North Carolina.  I've heard shark's teeth are pretty common around here, but I have not been able to find one...until possibly now?  I was walking in ankle deep ocean water today and stumbled across this.  It sure looks like a tooth...but I couldn't find anything online that would solidly help me identify if this belonged to a shark at one point.  Now I'm starting to think it's just a convincing rock.  Can anyone help me determine if this is a fossilized tooth or just a clever rock?  If it is a tooth, what kind of a animal did it come from?  

Sorry the pictures aren't the best...the darn sun makes it hard!  The top of it (gum?) appears different from "toothy" portion, which has several vertical lines traveling down it...if that helps!  Thanks in advance! 

IMG_4513.JPG

IMG_4515.JPG

Edited by jgj1120789
Misspelling

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first shark tooth.  A bit to worn to ID but could be a sand tiger shark .  You can see the enamel on the crown 

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first shark tooth.  A bit to worn to ID but could be a sand tiger shark  

Thank you! :)

A good way to find small to medium size teeth on the beach is to find a pile of shells and sit down and spend a few minutes taking a close look. Most teeth found on the beach will be black.