Fossil Foilist

Killeen

Fossil Foilist

Hello all, 

I have been collecting fossils for a while, joined the army and I ended up in Afghanistan, just got back from deployment. Hoping to do a little hunting. I'm not familiar with the area, if anybody has any sites they would like to share I would be much obliged. I'm stationed in Fort Hood. I'm interested in mineral, Indian artifacts and fossils. Feel free to PM me. 

Thanks, 

mckoy 

Fruitbat

Welcome back to the 'real world'!  The area around Killeen (Bell Co., TX) is almost completely covered by Cretaceous sediments (limestones, shales, marls) with a few scattered exposures of (possibly) Carboniferous sediments.  I haven't done much collecting in that area, but pretty much any place where you have exposed rock is potentially a good collecting area.  Typical Cretaceous fossils (mollusks, echinoids, shark teeth, etc.) are relatively abundant.  Just watch out for unexploded ordnance if you go wandering around the ranges on Fort Hood (something that will probably earn you a trip to the brig anyway!).

You might want to check out the section on TEXAS (link) in my pdf library here on The Fossil Forum for additional information.

-Joe

Fruitbat

Oh...while I was poking around the Internet for additional resources, I came across this: *III Corps & FH Reg 210-25. Installation Hunting, Fishing and Natural Resources Conservation Regulations.  According to this regulation: 

Prohibited Activities:

• Digging or otherwise removing living plants, sod, topsoil, sand, rocks, fossils, and artifact resources.

So you might want to forget about doing any fossil or artifact collecting on the base itself!

-Joe

RyanNREMTP

Welcome back and thank you for your service.  I'm in Waco but I don't know much about Bell County.  Best place are road cuts like parts of I-35 where construction is going on (I know there is always construction) or private areas.  I mainly hunt at the Lake Waco Research Area by the airport.  It belongs to the Corp of Engineers and a permit is required, it is free.  There you can find things from the Cretaceous period.  I've found shark teeth, echinoids, gastropods, sea stars and other misc stuff.

Here is a link for the CoE office.

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/waco/

Gettin' Jiggy

Welcome FF, and thank you for your service!!

Not to steal a thread, but do you have a direct link to that permit application Ryan? I was camping at a CoE park on Lake Belton last week, but only hunted on the road cuts outside the park since I did not know if I could collect within the park. Would be good to know if more places than just Lake Waco do the same.

Uncle Siphuncle
On 3/25/2017 at 3:00 PM, Fossil Foilist said:

Hello all, 

I have been collecting fossils for a while, joined the army and I ended up in Afghanistan, just got back from deployment. Hoping to do a little hunting. I'm not familiar with the area, if anybody has any sites they would like to share I would be much obliged. I'm stationed in Fort Hood. I'm interested in mineral, Indian artifacts and fossils. Feel free to PM me. 

Thanks, 

mckoy 

Welcome back with us "friendlies".  You can get a hiking permit and run all over Hood in areas where there aren't live fire drills, but as noted, best to leave those rocks on the ground.  There is still value in exploring there, as there are benefits to training the eyes where there is no competition.  If you have a hunting license, you can hunt deer, hogs, squirrels etc with shotguns on base as well.  I've done well there.

From oldest to youngest, the main Cretaceous marine formations around Ft. Hood are Glen Rose, Walnut, Comanche Peak, and Edwards.  All have fossils, but the Walnut will keep you most loaded down with easy access, generally well preserved fossils dominated by Heteraster and Phymosoma echinoids, bivalves, gastropods, oysters and a few ammonites.  Marine vert material is scarce but present in the Walnut.

I'll PM you a couple sites.  Thank you for your service.

Pagurus

I guess I should have gotten a permit of some sort, but I remember collecting mosquito fish (gambusia) from ditches at ft hood, many years ago. I kept them in a big jar in my locker. I was only there a short time though, and never thought to look for fossils. 

Uncle Siphuncle
9 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

I guess I should have gotten a permit of some sort, but I remember collecting mosquito fish (gambusia) from ditches at ft hood, many years ago. I kept them in a big jar in my locker. I was only there a short time though, and never thought to look for fossils. 

With a name like Pagurus, I would have thought you would have chased down the fossil crustaceans of the Walnut nearby.

RyanNREMTP
On 5/30/2018 at 3:03 PM, Gettin' Jiggy said:

Welcome FF, and thank you for your service!!

Not to steal a thread, but do you have a direct link to that permit application Ryan? I was camping at a CoE park on Lake Belton last week, but only hunted on the road cuts outside the park since I did not know if I could collect within the park. Would be good to know if more places than just Lake Waco do the same.

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/waco/

Here is their direct page.  There is a phone number and a form can be faxed.  I'm sure an email might work as well.  Just to let you know that the CoE is not happy with fossil hunters right now.  They have a rule of only allowing two fossils collected per permit and have been enforcing it this year.  There was talk of them closing the area off as well.

If you do go bring plenty of water, snacks, and knee pads.  The best way to hunt out there is nose to the dirt.

Gettin' Jiggy

Thanks Ryan.

That's too bad, why the change? Do you know?

RyanNREMTP

Apparently everyone going out there is getting more than the two fossils, which I am guilty of as well. Granted my time out there lately has declined and I have been getting more and more picky on what I take home.  But any way CoE noticed on some unnamed site people showing off what they have found in what I guess single trips.  They are afraid of the place being over hunted. I don't see how with how plentiful that place is and new stuff being uncovered after any rain.  Mainly I see that they are afraid of losing credit for any substantial find found out there.

It's a shame it was a great place and close to home.