Building a new fossil cabinet

Dsailor

So I filled the drawers in the display cabinet that I built last year and needed more room. I was going to go fossiling today but it was a little too rainy so I started on a new cabinet. It is real quick and dirty. This one is much simpler and made from scrap I had in my shop at work. I am partially done but still need drawer pulls and label holders and to tweak some stuff. I think the bottom piece needs to be trimmed down.

So here is the first cabinet I made:

DSC_0538.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Lastly, here is the mock up with the first coat of shellac. The bottom needs trimming as I think it is too big.

DSC_0537.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

That looks fantastic!

I have debated "Making" a fossil cabinet, but my wood skills are slightly limited to...I can basically cut a sort of straight-ish looking line!

Cant wait to see it finished!

Looks great, Dom! 
Well done, sir. Well done. 

I see a second job for you if you were to take it up. ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Quite nice fella.  You've got a bit of talent there.   and also, like JP asked, what is the kind of wood on that first cabinet.  Looks really nice.

RB

5 hours ago, jpc said:

Nice work.  What is the wood on your first project?

Thank you, The first one is curly maple with a stain to bring out the figure in the grain.

Awesome! Functional and beautiful. Sure beats my cardboard boxes.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

8 hours ago, CBOB said:

Nice work!  That curly maple looks great.  The first cabinet has a very antique/vintage vibe too it.  

Thanks, I love working with curly maple. That is the look I was going for. Sort of a Victorian specimen cabinet look. I did my kids' dressers in curly maple with an early American look to them and I was really happy with them

Looks good. I agree about the vintage look of that first one but the 2nd one is looking like it won't be out of place there too. Usually I'm more concerned with getting a unit together and being functional, to bother with the finer points of making it look nice, but it is worthwhile when you do.

First one looks really attractive and the second one looks like it's coming along real well. Congratulations. Love to see the final finished product- full of fossils of course. Maybe I can help you fill it.

47 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

First one looks really attractive and the second one looks like it's coming along real well. Congratulations. Love to see the final finished product- full of fossils of course. Maybe I can help you fill it.

Sounds like a plan :)

So it is home and all done except for the labels and label holders which are brass and should be coming in the mail soon

DSC_0542.JPG

16 hours ago, Dsailor said:

So it is home and all done except for the labels and label holders which are brass and should be coming in the mail soon

DSC_0542.JPG

Very nice work. Wish I had more time to build furniture.

I absolutely love that first cabinet Dom! Also, the items you put in it and to the overall look. The second one looks nice as well. Great talent!:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

19 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I absolutely love that first cabinet Dom! Also, the items you put in it and to the overall look. The second one looks nice as well. Great talent!:)

Thanks a lot, Dave, the first one is one of my favorite things that I have built (I built almost every piece of furniture in our house over the last eight years or so that  I have been doing woodworking). I really like woodworking when I have the time. Right now I am working on a walnut one.