Double Crab Concretion !!!

RJB

My wife came into my office the other day and said "here is a crab you wanted me to put in a safe place"   Wow!!!  I was flabbergasted!  This was 12 years ago.  This is a very rare double crab in a concretion.  These are Orbitoplax weaveri found in Oregon in the Looking Glass Formation and Eocene in age.   Really really tuff to get a double crab! 

RB

DSCN0883.JPG

DSCN0884.JPG

Thanks folks.  Quite happy with this one.  Been a long time since ive seen it.  Its now in the fossil crab display cabinet.

RB

Cool, are you gonna prep it more? If they are mating this could be a triple concretion. The female needs to molt before mating; she will get under the male and be protected by him while molting, and when she's done, she'll push the molt a little in front of them, then flip to face him to mate while still under him. The second part of this video shows the behavior:

• I found this Informative 2

Amazing!

It does look like mating (or perhaps it's the hopeless romantic in me).

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 3/25/2017 at 4:45 PM, Ludwigia said:

Great! Looks like they're riding piggyback.

Umm, that's not what I thought when I first saw it!

Seriously, I think you have caught a glimpse of crab coitice immortalized in stone!  Saucy!