Sign in to follow this  
sTamprockcoin

Explored several new spots

sTamprockcoin

I went out and checked a few new to me roadside spots. This first posting is all Surilian -  Wills Creek formation in Altoona PA. Bivalves, ostracodes, Spirals (Turnitellia?), Favosites corals in 3 different shapes. The only prep I did was a quick rinse. I'm looking forward to prepping these out and tomorrow I'll post a few from the other spot that I visited 

Favosites 1b.jpg

Favosities 1a.jpg

Favosities 2a.jpg

Favosities 2b.jpg

Favosities 3 edge.jpg

Favosities 3 top.jpg

Favosities 3.jpg

Favosities 3bottom.jpg

Spirals 2 top.jpg

Spirals 3 top.jpg

Jeffrey P

Very interesting finds, Tim. Glad to see you're getting out and finding stuff, and sharing them with us. Best wishes.

sTamprockcoin

Went across the valley and up the mountainside Sunday 4/23. Found these trace fossils. I thin k the combination of the pattern that looks almost braided and the silver hematite coating make them look kind of neat and so I thought I'd share them. The location is Silurian Clinton Group (Rose Hill & Keefer formations undivided). The hill cut is covered with all kinds of trace fossils and iron staining. Next time I go out I'll try to remember to photograph the cut.

trace 4 23 a1.jpg

trace 4 23 a2.jpg

trace 4 23 b1.jpg

trace 4 23 b2.jpg

sTamprockcoin

Thanks. Here the Rose Hill & Keefer are undifferentiated due to gradual transitions, mapping difficulties, layer folding/thinning/disappearing & reappearing. It seems like only the upper and lower boundries not the "middles" are identified.

Dpaul7

Hello!  I'm across the mountain, in Johnstown!  Would love to hunt marine fossils; the site I knew here had gorgeous Worthenia and Bellerophon and Turitella gastropods, crinoids, etc. The site is no longer available, but we DO have nice plant fossils about, calamites, lepidodendron, pectopteris and neuropteris, and such. Perhaps in Spring you can come over to Cambria County and hunt! You found some interesting things!  Congratulations!

Dpaul7

Plax

Impressive take. Is this the site in Fossil Collecting in Pennsylvania book? Your fossils look like mine of some 30 years ago.

sTamprockcoin

No neither site is not listed in any books; both are simply roadside localities. After several unpleasant "collecting meets" I no longer collect with others and will probably not collect any more at all unless I stumble across something truly Unique. I also no longer frequent this forum & since we can't delete our own prior postings this is a dead thread & no reply is necessary.