Hello from central Texas

Trailgetter

Hi, I found a bunch of fossils today on our property. Mostly oysters but this one I've never seen. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

IMG_1187.JPG

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

What county is your property in?

Can we see a photo of the other side of this?

It looks like a valve to an oyster, but the interior side (showing) doesn't have any identifying details.

It may belong to something similar to Exogyra ponderosa.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Pretty sure that is the upper valve of an Exogyra as Tim suggests.  Would need to see the other side AND the lower valves you are finding to know what species it is. Along with E. ponderosa there are at another half dozen commonly found species of Exogyra to be found in Texas.

• I found this Informative 1

Yes, very nice oyster. It looks a little different from the Exogyras I find farther north. I assume that's a left valve and the inside might clean up nicely but it's the outer surface that has me puzzled. Tim or erose could that have formed up against another shell or is that typical for some species I haven't seen? If that has left a trace of another shell this would be a good example of a form of preservation called bioimmuration.