My Edmontosaurus collection

sandgroper

Gday all, this is my Edmontosaurus collection so far. Most of the bones here are from the left foot of an Edmontosaurus but there are a few other pieces, rib sections and teeth. I'm trying to build a complete left foot, originally I didn't set out to do this but I bought a few toe bones and soon realised that the majority of them were from the left foot so I decided to turn it into a project. It will take me some time to source the correct bones but that will also give me some time to save for them! I have a few bones that aren't right, for example met 111-1 is the correct bone but just too small so I need a larger one to keep everything in proportion but waiting and searching is all part of the fun. Thanks for looking, Dave.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Hi Dave, looking good.  How did your repair go with that metatarsal?   That one looks like a good fit with your other one.  You've got a super project, looks easy,  but I'm aware how complex it really is and how difficult it is to match sizes and position.  Good luck and have fun at it.

• I found this Informative 3

Gday Frank, thanks for the comments mate and a big thanks for your help and advice in identifying some of these bones, it was a great help. .......... The repair went ok, I've posted a couple of pics in the thread where I asked for help. Thanks for your advice there too mate, it was very helpful.

I love projects like this. Good luck on completing the foot!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 2017-03-25 at 8:01 PM, sandgroper said:

originally I didn't set out to do this but I bought a few toe bones and soon realised that the majority of them were from the left foot so I decided to turn it into a project. It will take me some time to source the correct bones ..

Ha! Have to laugh.  I have a dozen boxes like the one in the photo full of Ceratopsian and Hadrosaur digits. I can make up a few pes and manus but for the most part it is 6 of one ungual...none of another...'5 metatarsals on the left side of the third digit' and a struggle to find the next one, etc.   Then to get the correct size!  ... the permutations get comical after a while.

IMG_6454.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, Canadawest said:

Ha! Have to laugh.  I have a dozen boxes like the one in the photo full of Ceratopsian and Hadrosaur digits. I can make up a few pes and manus but for the most part it is 6 of one ungual...none of another...'5 metatarsals on the left side of the third digit' and a struggle to find the next one, etc.   Then to get the correct size!  ... the permutations get comical after a while.

IMG_6454.JPG

Wow! That is a box full of goodies mate, I wouldn't mind poking around through that lot!

Poking around have fun.  Reminds me that I need to make up new configurations for my displays some time. Things get somewhat complicated in the Campanian formations where there are such a variety of dino genera in each family. Much simpler in he latest maastrichian  in which the digits of Edmontosaurus or Triceratops are somewhat diagnostic.  

I'm not really a vertebrate guy, so just dabble. Enjoy the hiking in the badlands more so than collecting these days.

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_5568.JPG

IMG_5569.JPG

Mate I'm speechless! You mob are so lucky to be able to wander around and find these things! Fantastic!

16 hours ago, BadlandTraveller said:

@Canadawest any chance I can get you to respond to my PM?

My respond PM messages dont work for some reason.

Your map in the message is about right. Stay close to the gravel road ( few hundred meters). Only look for crushed white shell layers. Near these, low mounds of clay contain Microvertebrates.  Also, walk along the edge of the  hoodoos following the shell layers. I plucked a few Tyrannosaur teeth out of these.  Dont look for big bones...absent from the area for whatever reason except in the steep layers that cut through the coulee forming the Lost River.  The whole area is feast or famine...lots of microvertebrates or sterile. Ive spent hours roaming and finding nothing then 'Eureka'.