A trip to a quarry in the Bryozoan Limestone

Phevo

I thought I would write a short trip report with some of my finds since I enjoy reading the reports other people make alot.

This quarry exposes a layer of rock just under the KT boundary of around 65 m.y.a. in an area with an estimated depth of around 200m based on the fauna found here, in this particular location we call the chalk bryozoan chalk because the majority of it consists of bryazoans.

When i went on the trip it was snowing but there is always an abundance of fossils witch makes up for it ;P

Anyway without further delay here comes some pictures ;)

17522444_10154349455667694_1515615825_o.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

DSC_0981.JPG

Cyclaster sp.

DSC_0982.JPG

Echinocorys sctutata

DSC_0983.JPG

Temnocidaris sp. ?

DSC_0986.JPG

Echinocorys scutata with Bryozoan colony

DSC_0987.JPG

The colony

DSC_0992.JPG

Cyclaster sp.

DSC_0993.JPG

Echinocorys scutata with Bryozoan colonnies, "young" oysters and more.

DSC_0994.JPG

A crushed Echinocorys scutata

DSC_0984.JPG

The Brachiopod Terebratulina aff. Chrysalis

DSC_0985.JPG

The Brachiopod Terebratula fallax

DSC_0988.JPG

Nielsenicrinus sp.

DSC_0989.JPG

Spondylus sp.

• I found this Informative 1

Quite an assortment of good finds. 

And from just before the major event! Cool.

Thanks for posting them. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice to see these.  My favourites are your brachiopod finds. 

Are your fossils mostly from a particular layer in the quarry?.

We also have a lot of KT boundary material...some marine but mostly terrestrial. Our marine deposits are mosly shales and clays...no chalk. 

Nice preservation and diversity.

I have an echinoid from Denmark that looks a lot like the one in your avatar, but I don't have accurate locality info (or a name) for it, maybe I should ask you...

20 hours ago, Canadawest said:

Nice to see these.  My favourites are your brachiopod finds. 

Are your fossils mostly from a particular layer in the quarry?.

We also have a lot of KT boundary material...some marine but mostly terrestrial. Our marine deposits are mosly shales and clays...no chalk. 

The truth is that it is mixed together, the way they mine in this particular quarry is to bring down layers vertically and then sort it, dry it etc. so it is mixed from the start.

You could break down parts yourself but the fossils are far and few between before all the flint has been sorted from the chalk.

The boundary here is at the very top of the quarry, and I have had a look at it previously but diden't find anything. 

15 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Nice preservation and diversity.

I have an echinoid from Denmark that looks a lot like the one in your avatar, but I don't have accurate locality info (or a name) for it, maybe I should ask you...

I would like to see it, as to location it is very likely I wont be able to help you there, as we have had alot of glacial activity and you can find fossils that have arrived from the north, east or south respectively. 

I'm sure it would be possible to match your echinoid to it's generic name, but the specific can be quite challenging to identify correctly if it's an internal mold of flint.

16 hours ago, Dsailor said:

The Nielsenicrinus is awesome

I'm glad you like it, it's one of the few I have found from that location that are articulated to some extent

It is either an internal mold/steinkern or at least it has been weathered (or does flint preservation just look that way?), so I doubt it can be ID'd to species and maybe not even to genus. I'll see if I can get a decent pic of it. It is dark like yours with white in the recesses. Someone along the way suggested it could be from Treldenæs - is that where yours is from? The only location that came with it was 'Jutland'.

On 3/28/2017 at 4:31 AM, Wrangellian said:

It is either an internal mold/steinkern or at least it has been weathered (or does flint preservation just look that way?), so I doubt it can be ID'd to species and maybe not even to genus. I'll see if I can get a decent pic of it. It is dark like yours with white in the recesses. Someone along the way suggested it could be from Treldenæs - is that where yours is from? The only location that came with it was 'Jutland'.

Treldenæs is an Eocene deposit, witch consists of clay in that area, so your echinoid would be from a glacial deposit if it is from there, there is lots of glacial material there so it is very possible

I will take some pictures later of some examples of internal molds in flint, the ones with the original mold are found near exposures of chalk like a quarry or cliffs near the ocean, the internal flint molds have been polished by the ocean or by glacial rivers back in the day so the original shell has been polished away

• I found this Informative 1

Fantastic!! The echinoids are really nice. But that little brachiopod, Terebratulina aff. Chrysalis is beautiful.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Really loved those sponges 

Almost forgot... Here is my echinoid. Not sure if the fossil or the pics are good enough to tell anything with certainty...

Ech1.thumb.jpg.a37f38bfb7905d9303b00d4c82a8eaa9.jpgEch2.thumb.jpg.ff58c244cc0fe82eabde1c58f31e2d6e.jpg

On 4/6/2017 at 8:40 AM, Wrangellian said:

Almost forgot... Here is my echinoid. Not sure if the fossil or the pics are good enough to tell anything with certainty...

It's definately an internal cast of an echinocorys, but I woulden't go any closer than that on an id.

And it could very well be from treldenæs (as a secondary deposit)

Thank you. I did not have that much of an identification before... So it could be from Treldenæs or it could be from any number of other places? And the source would be Eocene in any case?

I would put it alittle older, in Maastrichtian in the cretaceous period, or possibly from the Paleocene of Danien. 

From these internal molds all the details needed are gone so it complicates things. 

And yes if it is from Treldenæs it could be from a number of places, because it received material from several different glaciers arriving from the NE, E and SE. 

Enjoyed your report, finds and pictures!

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

14 hours ago, Phevo said:

I would put it alittle older, in Maastrichtian in the cretaceous period, or possibly from the Paleocene of Danien. 

From these internal molds all the details needed are gone so it complicates things. 

And yes if it is from Treldenæs it could be from a number of places, because it received material from several different glaciers arriving from the NE, E and SE. 

OK. It could have originated in Treldenæs before the glaciers but could have been picked up anywhere to the NE, E or SE of there. Got it. Thanks again.