Brazos River?

Jakuzi

I'm canoeing the Brazos river next weekend(weather permitting) starting from the Possum Kingdom dam and headed 20 miles down.  I've had luck finding bivalves and gastropods on other parts of the river.  This section of the river is new to me.  I'll be on the river 3 days.

Any tips on what to look for and where to look for it would be appreciated.

Thanks guys 

The Brazos is a 'snarge-shoot' as far as fossils are concerned.  Cretaceous stuff is most common (bivalves, gastropods, etc.) but the river cuts through a lot of other, mostly younger geological strata as well.  Depending on the water level, checking the gravel bars carefully can yield all sorts of stuff!

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

On 3/26/2017 at 10:35 PM, Fruitbat said:

The Brazos is a 'snarge-shoot' as far as fossils are concerned.  Cretaceous stuff is most common (bivalves, gastropods, etc.) but the river cuts through a lot of other, mostly younger geological strata as well.  Depending on the water level, checking the gravel bars carefully can yield all sorts of stuff!

-Joe

Thanks for the info.  I'll keep a close look out for all and every goodie.

Jealous.  I have family that lives on the Brazos River south of Lake Whitney.  Never hunted the river growing up but I might go this summer and see what I can find.  Probably not much.  Let us know what all you find.