Rockin' Ric

Yep! Me thinks I need to be a lot more careful fossil hunting now that the weather is getting warmer! I encountered a Dinosaur cousin (2-foot Copperhead) I didn't want tangle with...don't know how I missed him the first time...I walked by where it was once, I had come back to the area and was on my knees inspecting a fossil about 3 feet from where it sat. Whew, close call, a hobby that has its dangers! I did find several trace fossils though... Central Alabama Carboniferous, Parkwood Formation. 

2017-03-26 20.44.52.jpg

20170326_163929.jpg

20170326_163905.jpg

20170326_165308.jpg

20170319_165154.jpg

20170319_165132.jpg

20170312_170603.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

Yikes! :blink:

"Snakes! Why does it always have to be snakes!"   :wacko:  :P 

Glad you saw it before anything untoward happened. :o

Great fossils, Ric!

Love seeing these. 

Be careful out there, folks. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I've always hated the spiders, especially the creepy looking black ones that hide under the pieces of shale as you pick them up. 

And no, I have no intention of ever finding out what kind they are. 

I picked up a slab last year to discover two snakes curled up under it. Fortunately they were corn snakes. Certainly wakes you up and gets your attention.

I bet that snake was guarding a treasure.. :P

Those are some really nice trace fossils, is it the same sort of shale found in southern Utah?

4 hours ago, Phevo said:

I bet that snake was guarding a treasure.. :P

Those are some really nice trace fossils, is it the same sort of shale found in southern Utah?

I dunno Phevo, never been to southern Utah...this shale is very thin sheets, most that fall from the 50 foot rock wall shatter into pieces. It's usually in those pieces I find the trace fossils. Sorry, can't be any more informative. Attached is a pic of a large section that sheared away from a rainstorm. 

20170316_144330.jpg

10 hours ago, EMP said:

I've always hated the spiders, especially the creepy looking black ones that hide under the pieces of shale as you pick them up. 

And no, I have no intention of ever finding out what kind they are. 

EMP, u talking bout these kind of creepy crawlies? Jumping spiders I can handle but the Black Widows that's another thing....

20160905_132600.jpg

13 hours ago, Rockin' Ric said:

EMP, u talking bout these kind of creepy crawlies? Jumping spiders I can handle but the Black Widows that's another thing....

One time I saw a HUGE garden spider, had to be about 3.5 inches long on a massive web covering up all of an outcrop. The worst part was I didn't see it until it was right in front of me! You can guess what my reaction was :P.

I've always hated the big wolf spiders the most. Every now and then I come across a black widow and that's when I hightail it away from the outcrop. It's a bit unnerving to find a cobweb but see no spiders in it...

Thankfully no brown recluses...yet...:wacko: