Analyzing a Kem Kem Vertebra

I was browsing the Internet and saw this vertebra for sale from my favorite locality the Kem Kem Beds.  It's a good example of how the Moroccan's composite a dinosaur vertebra so I decided to post it. 

Here is the specimen and from a distance it looks acceptable. The centrum looks very nice and possibly a nice addition to a collection. Unfortunately after closer inspection everything else is questionable and red flags are raised.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.68f1f1a86474b72d029f650acfd83465.jpg.  

Matrix fills the gap between the centrum and processes on both sides.  Best conclusion is that all of the processes have been composited to the centrum.  

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.3198b5ef39a62ad671d17e62689900d3.jpg58d8fae38639c_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.dbb42bcaed39a064ba45007e6814d8ae.jpg

Is it possible that the processes belong to the centrum?  Sure that's possible but another red flag is this bone.  It looks nothing like an articulating process should look like and appears to be a peice bone that has been added to appear like one.  Or are they adding it to be the neural spine which raises even more flags since the broken edges of one is already there.

58d8facc3461e_s-l1600(3)_20170327044351760.thumb.jpg.aef82742d2f9f31e638d1948081e7af6.jpg

This vertebra is being sold as a Spinosaurus so it's always good practice to do a Google search and familiarize yourself with one.  Scott Hartman's sketal drawings can be a good source.

http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/

Not from Scott but here is an image of a dorsal vertebrae from a Spinosaurus.  Compare it to the centrum in above specimen and draw your own conclusion.  Identifying isolated vertebrae to a specific species from any locality is difficult enough.  Identifying isolated centrums to a species is close to impossible especially from the Kem Kem.   Comparative bones, images are just not available.  Best to purchase a specimen because you like it and maybe someday it can be identified.

Screenshot_20170227-131612.jpg.1918361561dcb586e3ee9a9baf132f67.jpg

For new collectors to the hobby always be cautious when you see matrix attached to a Kem Kem fossil.  It's the media they use to hide imperfections, repairs and composites.

I agree that this is very likely a composite vertebra. I think this might be mostly a caudal vertebra though. And also reconstructed as a caudal vertebra. The centrum is very tall and laterally thin. It doesn't seem to have a convex end like the dorsal vertebrae do, though it might just be damaged there.

The neural arch on top of the centrum looks very much glued on. The shape doesn't fit at all. It reminds me more of cervical and dorsal vertebrae. And I agree that that pointy end is glued on to imitate the neural spine on a caudal vertebra, which is does kinda resemble. But the fact that the neural arch also seems to have a neural spine in the middle shows it's a composite.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Could be a caudal but it would have to be near the sacrum since its wide there are no attachment points first the chevrons. 

My Spinosaurid caudal vertebra.

20170326_163524.jpg.07c894e0bef25ffb50287997b26af02f.jpg

Archived