FossilDudeCO

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Hey guys and gals, would love an opinion on this tooth I found online.

I think I am seeing a repair to the tip, but other than that it almost looks TOO perfect to me.

Thoughts? Especially @Troodon and @Susan from PA

Need a clearer picture of the tip.  Tried to lighten it but still came across pretty dark.  Except for the tip the tooth looks great.  I'm concerned about half inch of that tip is restored.  Can you get a closeup of it or does it not bother you.

Thanks Troodon, I was debating if that was root or enamel peel!

I will message the seller for better pics of the tip. These were the only 2 they had posted.

Are you thinking from the break up might all be resto?

Yes all resto.  This is my area of concern, looks flat, no ribbing and that indentation.  

Showed you what I think is root.  

s-l1600_20170328165149158.thumb.jpg.1b7bc98d4d6e3247d07efacc37931e26.jpg

Perfect! thanks for the visual! I see what you mean about the flatness of it.

That was my area of concern too, but then everything else looks top notch to me!

I have been trying o keep my eyes peeled for a well priced 3 inch Spino tooth ;) I don't have one in my collection

We will see if the seller sends more photos! It is from overseas though so maybe a few hours.

Thanks for your input!

s-l1600 (1).jpg              s-l1600.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Tim, those photos are better than I could do on my tablet.  

Looks like a slight color change on tip, sheen change and no ribbing.   A crack line is also visible.   Concern still there.  Are you dealing with a dealer who can look at it and tell you if it's restored, repaired ?  You should ask him if you haven't

I asked the question if it was restored or repaired, we shall see.

I have seen lots of their items before, but never purchased. Most of their things look pretty decent.

10 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

I asked the question if it was restored or repaired, we shall see.

I have seen lots of their items before, but never purchased. Most of their things look pretty decent.

Great but was it a general questions or did you ask about the tip.  Sorry to be a nag :ighappy:  

4 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Great but was it a general questions or did you ask about the tip.  Sorry to be a nag :ighappy:  

No worries! It was specific to the tip. I said I couldn't quite tell in the photos provided bit it looked like work had been done there, can you elaborate and or send some more photos.

Hi Blake, I buy from this dealer often.

He's an honest fella with pretty good knowledge of his fossils (compared to the average Moroccan teeth dealer), though he occasionally gets his facts wrong.

I've gotten Spino teeth from him twice and the quality-to-price was satisfying. Good luck.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I'm late to the party as usual!   I'm interested to see what the seller has to say about the tip.  My eye is not at all trained like Troodon's.  However, there is something curious about the tip.   Other than the issue with the tip, the rest of the tooth looks good to me, but I don't have Troodon's eagle eyes.   

This is is just an observation of mine, but it seems as though there just isn't the quantity of nice Spino teeth that there used to be, particularly on a famous auction site.  You used to be able to find a dozen or so in which to choose from at any given time, and now most are missing tips, have peeling enamel, or other flaws that make them less appealing.   I also had one person who deals in higher end Moroccan fossils tell me that he was disappointed in the quality of Spino teeth at the show in Tucson.  I was not at the show to know.  Maybe Troodon can shed some light on this. :) 

Thanks for your input @-Andy- I was really hoping someone might recognize those photos! He does usually post decent looking things at good price points!

@Susan from PA same for the Denver show. The Moroccan stuff was pretty bad this last year, I usually buy stuff for grab bags for the kiddies but couldn't even find that!

A nice Carcharodontosaurus tooth and Spino tooth have been on my lists for a couple of years now :/

It's slim pickings for sure!  

I had to find the seller. :) I've purchased from that seller as well, and didn't have any problems.   I bought a very small fully rooted Spino tooth from him recently and was pleased with my purchase.  

5 minutes ago, Susan from PA said:

It's slim pickings for sure!  

I had to find the seller. :) I've purchased from that seller as well, and didn't have any problems.   I bought a very small fully rooted Spino tooth from him recently and was pleased with my purchase.  

Good to hear, maybe I will just take a shot at it! The price is right for me.

1 minute ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Good to hear, maybe I will just take a shot at it! The price is right for me.

The item has 4 days to run.  You could always wait for a reply before you pull the trigger, since there's no buy it now option.  

Just now, Susan from PA said:

The item has 4 days to run.  You could always wait for a reply before you pull the trigger, since there's no buy it now option.  

Oh yes, am definitely waiting for a reply!

44 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

@Susan from PA same for the Denver show. The Moroccan stuff was pretty bad this last year, I usually buy stuff for grab bags for the kiddies but couldn't even find that!

A nice Carcharodontosaurus tooth and Spino tooth have been on my lists for a couple of years now :/

You need to find a way to drive to the Tucson show for a few days.  Not a bad drive except for the the Raton Pass if it's snowing

@Troodon I was planning on it this year but then ended up working sadly :/ 95 hours a week of work and only 2 weeks paid vacation!

The math just doesn't work out, but maybe next year!

I see a little more texture in these photos on the tip.

Seller says it was just re-attached

Archived