Sharktooth Hill C. hastalis

ArrowHead

My wife and I worked the Slow Curve location at Ernst Quarries (Sharktooth Hill, Bakersfield, California) this past weekend and collected an exceptional C. hastalis from the bone bed. This is a very large lower tooth that measures 3.25" and is in pristine condition.  I saw a post recently about Sharktooth Hill mentioning the road to East quarry was closed due to recent rain damage and questioning whether the Slow Curve location (the only location still open) is still productive.  I can assure everyone it is a productive location to dig for middle Miocene marine fossils. In addition to this large hastalis, other uncommon prizes from the weekend included a complete lower Hexancus andersoni (sixgill shark), a pair of Allodesmus kernesis  teeth (primitive sea lion), and an excellent Aulophyseter morricei  tooth (pygmy sperm whale).  Each day of digging will produce many of the species and sizes more common to the locale to complement any of the uncommon prizes you are lucky enough to find. If you happen to be near Bakersfield, CA and can afford the time, put this on your list of sites to visit and collect. It will be worth your time - just plan your trip before, or after, the brutal summer heat settles in.

I am undecided as to whether I should remove this once in a lifetime lower hastalis from the matrix, or preserve the piece in the matrix as is.  I'm curious about other collector's preference regarding the matrix - remove? OR intact?

3.25 hastalis lower 3_26_17.jpg

3.25 measured hastalis lower 3_26_17.jpg

Pretty tooth! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The unanimous winner is to keep it in the matrix.  I'll work the matrix carefully to see if any other interesting fossils can be exposed and then I'll post pics of the final display piece. Thanks all for the encouragement!

That is an exceptional tooth, congrats on the great find. I'd also be inclined to leave it in the matrix. You can always remove it later if you decide to, but it's kinda hard to add it back.

• I found this Informative 2

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Arrowhead,

You're right.  That tooth is a once in a lifetime kind of find.  It would be remarkable enough if it were an upper tooth - so few that size - but to find a lower that large means the largest upper (1st anterior) from the same individual might have been close to 3 1/2 inches (maybe more like 3 3/8" which is gigantic enough) putting in that zone of the largest hastalis ever found.  That tooth has to be one of the two largest hastalis lowers I've ever seen or heard of.  Bob Ernst had something in that range and a larger upper.

Jess

• I found this Informative 2

As for whether it should stay in matrix, normally, I would instantly agree with leaving it in matrix but an exceptional find like that might deserve to be displayed among your other loose, large hastalis (2 1/2 to 3 inchers) to show the range between the hard-to-find and the incredibly rare.  The largest hastalis I've ever found are two uppers and a lower at 2 5/8 inches.  I bought a fewf larger teeth when I had the chance. 

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

Hey Siteseer - thanks for the perspective on the size. I'll show this tooth to Rob Ernst and ask if he still has his Dad's large hastalis for comparison. It would be neat to see them all together. My largest upper to date is 2.9" so I still have some digging to do to find the mate to this lower.

I've been working on the matrix and have exposed some bone, fish verts and a small Carcharhinus tooth. It does add some character to the piece but I too would really like to remove the tooth. Here's a photo of where I am with the piece so have a look and see if it sways you on the in or out of the matrix dilemma. Sorry for the bad lighting in this photo - just took a quick one in the lab under fluorescents.  

Rusty

Matrix 4_4_17.JPG

Considering the matrix has other fossils to compliment the main attraction, I say please leave it where it is. I know that the urge to remove it is tempting. I think you will regret it later. Absolutely beautiful as is. @ArrowHead

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

• 1 month later...

This past weekend I found a second large hastalis lower at Slow Curve, located about 18 inches deeper in the wall from where the first was unearthed. This tooth is 3 3/16".  I assume it is from the same individual considering the rarity of size and proximity of the finds.  I can only hope I have found this indivdual's final resting place.

3.18 hastalis lower 5_13_17.JPG

Awesome find! Maybe you will find more.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Those are some awesome Makos, congrats :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!