Sexual dimorphism in Dinosaurs

Troodon

A paleontologist at the Canadian Museum of Nature is countering decades of studies that assert that some dinosaurs can be identified as male or female based on the shapes and sizes of their bones.  A study was conducted on non-avian dinosaurs like Tyrannosaurus rex, Allosaurus fragilis, Stegoceras and Stegosaurus to determine if sexual dimorphism existed.   The study included tests and concluded that no evidence for sexual dimorphism was found in any of the examined taxa, contrary to conventional wisdom. This is not to say that dinosaurs were not sexually dimorphic, only that the available evidence precludes its detection.  

So what are we to about the gender names given to T rex's and most other mounted dinosaurs  :(  

Is   :trex: Sue a He?   Do we need gender neutral names :ighappy:

http://nature.ca/en/about-us/museum-news/news/press-releases/male-female-canadian-museum-nature-scientist-challenges-evi

Pretty technical paper

recognizing_sexual_dimorphism_in_the_fossil_record_lessons_from_nonavian_dinosaurs.pdf

• I found this Informative 5

12 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

I would like to point to Johnny Cash.....A boy can be named Sue!

I used to get that all the time growing up!  I had a wardrobe full of jeans and football jerseys.  To this day, I won't be caught dead in a dress.  :rofl:

• I found this Informative 2