Display ideas for loose fossils.

Lmshoemaker

Greetings,

I am starting to amass a growing number of loose crinoid caylxes and paleozoic shark teeth (among other things). Currently I am keeping them in plastic containers separated by age (example below), but I am looking for ideas on how to display these, as leaving them in containers is a bit bland to me. One cool idea I saw (but can't seem to find any examples of) was at a show I visited a few years back. The fossils were held up on top of small metal rods the size of a pen, and held in place by small  hairlike metal wires. Does anyone have any cool solutions they've used?  

IMG_3397.thumb.JPG.5336d98f4c973926a6a45635b4f292c9.JPG

4 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

If they're all pretty small, then riker mounts might be a solution. 

Thanks for the suggestion. Riker mounts could work, but in this case I am looking for something that allows the fossils to be displayed a bit more freely (preferably not behind glass).

Edit*

Actually, I will probably try this for the sharks teeth though, since they are typically pretty small and flat, and the black would contrast nicely with the cotton. Thanks again for the suggestion.

I second riker mounts for the shark teeth, as long as you can keep track of the data for each tooth.

IMG_1983.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

These two threads had some interesting ideas. :) 

LINK 1       LINK 2

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Check out Collecting Warehouse they have all sorts of display items for small to large items that are cost effective.   I use riker cases just because I can get a lot in each case, they are safe, and efficient use of space.  Space is very important when your collection grows.  It of course does not give you the 3D visual but it's also about tradeoffs

http://www.collectingwarehouse.com/Product-Home-Page/Locking-Showcases/

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Check out Collecting Warehouse they have all sorts of display items for small to large items that are cost effective.   I use riker cases just because I can get a lot in each case, they are safe, and efficient use of space.  Space is very important when your collection grows.  It of course does not give you the 3D visual but it's also about tradeoffs

http://www.collectingwarehouse.com/Product-Home-Page/Locking-Showcases/

Thanks for sharing, Troodon!  These plastic clear cases look great!  I have some similar, but I purchased them for $20 each from a friend who was selling his vinyl toy collection.  I couldn't seem to find anything similar.  

I just purchased some riker mounts from this company.  I'm going to mount them on my walls.  As Troodon said, they don't provide a 3D view, but they do save space, which I need.  

http://indianriverdisplay.com/black.htm

Here are just a few pictures of what I use. The first is the clear display cases similar to what Troodon linked to.  The second is actually a black shot glass display case that can be purchased at any Michael's Craft Outlet.  Sometimes, coupons are available at Michael's for 50% off or buy one get one free.  These black cases can be wall mounted with some strong fasteners, and they really look sharp if you can line them up properly.  image.thumb.jpg.e391687febee6c90ac1f3b315c965ce5.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.3300b2bbd67027f0505bcf9672675302.jpg

By the way, the clear fishing box is exactly how I started out!  I used it for a long time too! :)

If you have a few standout fossils that can withstand mounting on something like you describe, you can go that route, but if you're starting to amass a large collection, you'll find that space will become an issue. I have not found anything better for reasons of aesthetics and economy of space than specimen drawer units like these -if you can find or build them:

Drawers1.jpg.c464b5024c5695f162589b9aa8d1c4a3.jpg

Lots of room on top for the bigger and showier display specimens.

Your collection looks/sounds interesting, but I don't see labels in that pic. Do you have everything labeled or numbered with reference to the information? (eg. notebook)

Hi great post. I use old wooden cutlery drawer organizer that I find in junk shops . Painted up to match the rest of the shelving looks good to me. Bobby 

image.jpg

I use perky boxes for smaller specimens with data labels attached to the bottom of the box. I got the idea from my mineral collecting friends. Here is what they look like.I use white poster putty to attach them. Some people buy mineral tack which is much more costly but I haven't figured out why it is better than poster putty.

il_570xN.746878425_3i4b.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

On 3/30/2017 at 11:57 PM, Wrangellian said:

If you have a few standout fossils that can withstand mounting on something like you describe, you can go that route, but if you're starting to amass a large collection, you'll find that space will become an issue. I have not found anything better for reasons of aesthetics and economy of space than specimen drawer units like these -if you can find or build them:

Drawers1.jpg.c464b5024c5695f162589b9aa8d1c4a3.jpg

Lots of room on top for the bigger and showier display specimens.

Your collection looks/sounds interesting, but I don't see labels in that pic. Do you have everything labeled or numbered with reference to the information? (eg. notebook)

I like those cabinets, quite nice. I don't label the smaller ones, I can remember where each came from and all the associated information to be honest.

You should never rely on your memory for the info. I have tried! Some you remember, others you forget, or the memory becomes fuzzy and uncertain and confused with other fossils. And what if something unexpected should happen to you and someone else ends up with your fossils? I have so many interesting specimens that I have acquired from others (old rockhounds now deceased, for instance) that I'm still trying to nail down the place of origin for.

It's fine to put all the fossils from a particular spot in one box or drawer and just label the drawer with that site info, but then, if you should ever take a fossil out of that drawer/box you have to make sure you put it back in the right one. It's so easy to get things mixed up, which is why most people put catalog numbers directly on the fossil wherever possible. (I know it's a pain.)

12 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

You should never rely on your memory for the info. I have tried! Some you remember, others you forget, or the memory becomes fuzzy and uncertain and confused with other fossils. And what if something unexpected should happen to you and someone else ends up with your fossils? I have so many interesting specimens that I have acquired from others (old rockhounds now deceased, for instance) that I'm still trying to nail down the place of origin for.

It's fine to put all the fossils from a particular spot in one box or drawer and just label the drawer with that site info, but then, if you should ever take a fossil out of that drawer/box you have to make sure you put it back in the right one. It's so easy to get things mixed up, which is why most people put catalog numbers directly on the fossil wherever possible. (I know it's a pain.)

How true! I have tried and failed as well. I have gotten a few New Jersey and Maryland finds mixed up thinking I would remember.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Membrane display display stands can be found cheaply on ebay and amazon.  You can put small fossils between two clear membranes. 

• 2 weeks later...

image2.thumb.JPG.a5f206ec62922107b746411e686205f8.JPG

I like to use Riker Mounts because I am able to store fossils in a safe way.  They can be a little bulky but, like the one I have pictured, can be used to store several different fossils and allow for information to be displayed which I have found to be pretty convenient.

I also use cabinets from Ikea to display my fossils. They're cheap and easy to put together. I also put lights in which I think adds to the appeal, especially since my collection is in a dark room. I have one for my dinosaur tooth collection and then another cabinet for other odds and ends.

IMG_7544.thumb.JPG.d4054453bf3416d1573a0ecb94bfb91a.JPG

IMG_7548.thumb.JPG.61c4516ddb8425880d08c5a4a532ffb6.JPG

My dinosaur tooth cabinet is overflowing into my odds and ends cabinet and that's mainly because the rikes take up so much space so I'll need to come up with a more efficient setup.

Wow amazing collection fantastic.

I really like to have some Riker mounts but they are not available in the uk sadly. Thanks for showing your collection. Part of  my collection is display in my living room but I lucky as my wife does not mind so much about looking at it every day. I think she like the  eccentricity of it .Bobby 

IMG_0460.JPG

This has given me some great ideas for modifications to my man cave when I get back.

Runner64's cabinets are awesome!

Great thread

3 hours ago, skylarkazure said:

This has given me some great ideas for modifications to my man cave when I get back.

Runner64's cabinets are awesome!

Great thread

Thanks much, appreciate the kind words.

I really like the shotglass display cabinent idea- not behind glass, and good for showing small specimens like yours.

25 minutes ago, aplomado said:

I really like the shotglass display cabinent idea- not behind glass, and good for showing small specimens like yours.

Not exactly shot glasses.  Most of my smaller specimens are stored in Plano boxes, coin holders, jewellers cases, etc.  However, now and then I'll switch out the displays and fill brandy, wine, etc glasses with raptor teeth, small vertebrae, phalanges, etc.  This makes specimens more accessible for visitors. The glasses look classy if different shapes and sizes.   Various glasses can be picked up for a few cents at thrift stores. Middle shelf in photo.

IMG_3529.JPG

May I have a look on your recent sea urchins please ? :drool:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2017 at 10:03 AM, aplomado said:

Membrane display display stands can be found cheaply on ebay and amazon.  You can put small fossils between two clear membranes. 

Sorry for not replying, but that is a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely try that in the future..

On 4/17/2017 at 2:25 AM, Bobby Rico said:

Wow amazing collection fantastic.

I really like to have some Riker mounts but they are not available in the uk sadly. Thanks for showing your collection. Part of  my collection is display in my living room but I lucky as my wife does not mind so much about looking at it every day. I think she like the  eccentricity of it .Bobby 

IMG_0460.JPG

Nice display! Sure filled it up haha and quite a variety as well. Neat Psittachosaurus skeleton. Is that a replica or authentic?

14 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Nice display! Sure filled it up haha and quite a variety as well. Neat Psittachosaurus skeleton. Is that a replica or authentic?

Thank you . The Psittacosaurus is the only replica I have but I got of a guy in the next village who makes replica  for museums and sales them all over the world. He gave me this replica kit. It was made up of all the mounds that over the years had gone wrong . I had to clean the mounlds up, wire them, mount it and paint it myself. This was a 5 week job but great fun. It is 1.5mtrs in length. Thanks