Display ideas for loose fossils.

Lmshoemaker

On 4/16/2017 at 10:03 PM, Runner64 said:

My dinosaur tooth cabinet is overflowing into my odds and ends cabinet and that's mainly because the rikes take up so much space so I'll need to come up with a more efficient setup.

The display looks great. Have you considered adhering the Riker mounts to the back glass, freeing the horizontal shelf space? It would take a little effort to arrange them in such a way that they would still be visible beyond whatever is placed on the shelf, but it could work well. This method would utilize the ample unexploited vertical space of the cabinet.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

8 hours ago, snolly50 said:

The display looks great. Have you considered adhering the Riker mounts to the back glass, freeing the horizontal shelf space? It would take a little effort to arrange them in such a way that they would still be visible beyond whatever is placed on the shelf, but it could work well. This method would utilize the ample unexploited vertical space of the cabinet.

Thanks for the compliment Snolly! I've tried various different tactics but haven't thought about putting them on the back wall. I might try this sometime in the future and will get back to you! Any ideas or suggestions for getting the rikes to stick to the glass?

1 hour ago, Runner64 said:

hanks for the compliment Snolly! I've tried various different tactics but haven't thought about putting them on the back wall. I might try this sometime in the future and will get back to you! Any ideas or suggestions for getting the rikes to stick to the glass?

Hmmmm, as usual snolly hadn't thought that far ahead, LOL. Most any adhesive would grab the paper covered Riker mount. The glass being such a smooth surface would be more demanding.

Here is what a cursory Internet search turned up;

http://thistothat.com/cgi-bin/glue.cgi?lang=en&this=Glass&that=Paper 

It also occurred to me that double sided tape liberally applied might work. 

Instead of risking some nice teeth should an adhesive/tape fail, I would test a glass mounted Riker weighed with common rock to gauge the sureness of hold before I fully embraced this technique. I do think such a display would look great and free up some space for additional material.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Hmmmm, as usual snolly hadn't thought that far ahead, LOL. Most any adhesive would grab the paper covered Riker mount. The glass being such a smooth surface would be more demanding.

Here is what a cursory Internet search turned up;

http://thistothat.com/cgi-bin/glue.cgi?lang=en&this=Glass&that=Paper 

It also occurred to me that double sided tape liberally applied might work. 

Instead of risking some nice teeth should an adhesive/tape fail, I would test a glass mounted Riker weighed with common rock to gauge the sureness of hold before I fully embraced this technique. I do think such a display would look great and free up some space for additional material.

Thanks Snolly! I'll report back to you and let you know what the results are.

Matt

• 6 months later...
On 4/17/2017 at 12:03 PM, Runner64 said:

I also use cabinets from Ikea to display my fossils. They're cheap and easy to put together. I also put lights in which I think adds to the appeal, especially since my collection is in a dark room. I have one for my dinosaur tooth collection and then another cabinet for other odds and ends.

IMG_7544.thumb.JPG.d4054453bf3416d1573a0ecb94bfb91a.JPG

IMG_7548.thumb.JPG.61c4516ddb8425880d08c5a4a532ffb6.JPG

My dinosaur tooth cabinet is overflowing into my odds and ends cabinet and that's mainly because the rikes take up so much space so I'll need to come up with a more efficient setup.

Wow this looks great! Well done.

2 hours ago, Down under fossil hunter said:

Wow this looks great! Well done.

Thanks Elliot! I’ve done a little bit of rearranging to make more room but the same general layout is still there.

Thanks, lots of great ideas, it has goaded me into taking the plunge and have ordered two boxes of clear coin displays for my micro fossils, no excuse now not to organise myself over the winter months.

Never ask a starfish for directions

• 6 months later...
On 4/2/2017 at 11:41 AM, Cluros said:

I use perky boxes for smaller specimens with data labels attached to the bottom of the box. I got the idea from my mineral collecting friends. Here is what they look like.I use white poster putty to attach them. Some people buy mineral tack which is much more costly but I haven't figured out why it is better than poster putty.

il_570xN.746878425_3i4b.jpg

I've been trying to figure out what these boxes have been called forever! Thank you :ighappy:

rydysig.JPG