Phytosaur Prep

Ptychodus04

Now that Snollyfish and the Oreodont Smoothie are done, the next project is another fine specimen belonging to our very own @StevenJDennis. I swear, he has all the luck and a collection to rival the Smithsonian's.

This little baby is a nice phytosaur snout. It has really brittle teeth and hard matrix (exciting combination), so fast removal with the CP9361is out. The Aro is almost too much and I'm having to be extremely careful around the teeth with liberal use of PVA consolidation.

It has had previous "restoration" done with what appears to be wood filler on several breaks. Thankfully, it appears to be holding on well so I'll only mess with it to finish it up.

Here's a pic of it before work started.

IMG_4249.thumb.JPG.7deee51d8bb82cdaebb02b20232a2261.JPG

And, here's how it sits currently after 4 hours of prep.IMG_4264.thumb.JPG.6aadec911c3e7c247385a0f381e3ad0a.JPG

The distal end will eventually be reattached.

• I found this Informative 2

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Brittle teeth and very hard matrix.  A wonderful combination.  :)   Looking forward to seeing how these teeth come out?   Good luck man

RB

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Brittle teeth and very hard matrix.  A wonderful combination.  :)   Looking forward to seeing how these teeth come out?   Good luck man

RB

The keep trying to come out in little pieces!! :wacko: I'm stopping to consolidate after I uncover a few square millimeters! Slow going but once the teeth are exposed and well consolidated, the rest should go quickly. Thankfully, the bone is very well preserved.

5.5 hours in and the teeth are still showing up. Most of the crack filler is very shallow so anywhere I am scribing down more than 1/8-1/4 of an inch I am running into a void under the filler. The plan is to dump a bunch of PVA into it and the pack the voids with Apoxie Sculpt.

The piece on the snout that looks like a displaced tooth root is in fact what appears to be most of a small vertebra. I'll get some close up pics of it and post them eventually.

IMG_4280.thumb.JPG.1d8e7292bcf4fa717fb0b380131aef81.JPG

I remember this jaw! What a beauty it is. Can't wait to see the completed work.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

7 hours in and there's no turning back! The teeth are now more plastic than fossil but they appear to be well stabilized now. Most of the teeth that were already exposed were less than 1/2 their original diameter so I'll be leaving ample matrix behind them for support. Will make the restore/don't restore call later. The bone preservation is excellent (away from the break and the proximal end. These areas will require some significant stabilization. The alveolae are well preserved and beginning to stand out nicely against the lighter matrix.

IMG_4296.thumb.JPG.508ebd24828756edd5296721292261b9.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

I logged another hour on this guy yesterday so the ticker's up to 8 for those who are keeping track other than myself and @StevenJDennis :P

I spent some time working around the random bone and on the premaxillary alveolae. Then, I tackled the reattachment of the two pieces. It's a simple affair of lining up pieces with almost no contact points, holding them straight with one hand while bracing the other end against the bench and your side while applying Paleo Bond and praying you don't shift the specimen while it sets. Then, mix up some Apoxie Sculpt and start packing it a small bit at a time into the gaps. This is just a base layer of Apoxie Sculpt that serves as a foundation for the final layer that will get textured and painted. It allows me to scribe near the broken ends without the danger of knocking bits off.

Notice the addition of the @aerogrower Photocube (oriented towards magnetic north).

IMG_4320.thumb.JPG.1c20b3eda8f5fffa90cb3e322eab731e.JPG

Ho boy~ I am regretting not getting this piece myself by the minute!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

7 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Ho boy~ I am regretting not getting this piece myself by the minute!

:D It is a nice specimen for sure. It's pretty fun to work on, now that I have the teeth stabilized.

Looks great! Now I'm wondering what the other side looks like.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

3 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Looks great! Now I'm wondering what the other side looks like.

Its missing a bigger chunk at the break but otherwise, similar. Of course, I'll post pics

Two more hours in (10 total) and the vast majority of the scribe work is done on this guy's starboard side.

Due to the instability of the teeth, I opted to leave substantial matrix behind them for support. I have some more crack filling to do and a bit of scribe work around the snout. Then comes the abrasion!

IMG_4331.thumb.JPG.303ac082f771751ca06e805a3cc68be7.JPG

6 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

How did I miss out on this one until now? Looking good so far, Kris. Keep up the good work! :popcorn:

Probably because you're always out collecting all those beautiful ammonites of yours. :P