Compressors

Crann

Looking at different compressors, some are 2hp and some 2.5hp, some have 7cfm and some 9.3cfm would these make a difference when prepping do you think ? Any real noticeable difference ? Thanks

The higher CFM and larger tank, the better as it will keep up with the tools and recover much faster. 7cfm will work well. I believe my compressor is 6cfm with a 21 gallon tank and it recovers in under a minute while using my scribes and probably turns on every 10 minutes or so to refill.

The bigger, the better. Also an oil compressor will run much quieter if noise is an issue. An oiless compressor can be very loud. If you get too small an oiless compressor, your ears will be ringing after a session. I use a 25 gallon, 6hp, 8.9 cfm oil filled compressor, but I am running an air abrasive unit as well as scribes. If you are sure you are never going to use a blaster, I think the 24 liter, 2hp, 9.3 cfm would be adequate.

• I found this Informative 2

Waaaaaaay back when, I started off small.  Nowadays I have all the big heavy duty stuff.   The bigger the tank the longer one charge last and you get some quite time inbetween.  it does take a bit of moneys to go heavy duty though.  But all in all, its just a ton of fun to be able to prep your own rocks.  Good luck

RB

DSCN0207.JPG

DSCN0225.JPG

DSCN0630.JPG

7 minutes ago, Crann said:

And are most of these fittings 1/4 ?

Any water trap will do for a scribe. Most fittings in the US are 3/8". Not sure about UK.

+1 on @steelhead9's recommendation for an oil compressor. I've used both and the oil less ones are WAY louder. I still use shooting ear muffs when I prep either way.