Crocodile and turtle fragments from Jurassic of Lithuania

D.N.FossilmanLithuania

Dear Guys, 

I am young fossil explorer from Lithuania, Baltic States. There are some Jurassic and Cretaceous erratics in my area, where should be possible to find some reptile remains.

I think this type of rock is very common in Devonian but when I showed one fragment to scientific doctor in Vilnius University he said that similar rocks can be found even to Cretaceous.

The tooth is quite uncommon in the majority of bony fishes because of its appearance, I think. It is more characteristic to crocodiles or other reptiles.

The length of the tooth is 8 mm. 

The turtle scutes in my opinion are too big to placoderms like Asterolepis or Bothriolepis, and they are also very thick.

There are three fragments of them, the largest is 2,5 cm in length and 4 mm thickness, the second is 2,1 cm in length and 3 mm thickness, and the third- 1,6 cm in length and ~2,5 mm thickness. 

Please help me to confirm these ideas if you can. :)

Best Regards, Domas     

crocodile tooth.jpg

Complete turtle scute 1.JPG

Complete turtle scute 2.JPG

Complete turtle scute 3.JPG

Turtle scute 6.jpg

Turtle scute 7.jpg

turtle scute 2.jpg

Turtle scute 4.jpg

Is it safe to assume that the last four photos are of the same piece ? If so could you give us a sense of scale and how they relate to each other.

The texture in the top one is very much like a piece I have from Emsian rocks here in Maine (northeast corner USA).

Bothriolepis is one of my best guesses on it.

Anyone see hyneria tooth ?

Dear Rockwood,

Thank you for identification, I agree with you because the majority of continental sandstones in our area belong to Devonian. The last pictures are from three different plates. 

Hyneria is very interesting version to me, but is it correct that this monster fish lived only in Australia? Mandageriinae are the Fammenian tristichopterids, and I am not sure if they lived in Europe... Sounds very interesting. :D 

From Frasnian tristichopterids, in Lithuania are known two big fishes like Eusthenopteron and Platycephalichthys. Maybe one of them? ;)

Best Regards

Domas  

You shouldn't take my identifications as much more than an indication that an amateur thinks you are on the right track. Experts are often reluctant to comment on finds from unfamiliar areas. Sometimes it helps to give a bit more perspective on the piece in question.

I think the type for Hyneria is here in the states. Hyner, Pennsylvania. I used it more as a term for big fish to get the conversation started.  

My role here is often that of the corrected :)