Peat Burns

Hi all,

I was going to wait to post this trip report after I had time to wade through the brachiopod literature and put a name on the brachiopods.  But, if I do that, this will be a history report (if some of you are inclined to save me some time and know the identity, please chime in :)).  This is a trip taken to Sulphur, IN, on March 16, 2017.  The fossils come from the Big Clifty Formation (sensu lato) and some specifically from the Indian Springs Shale member of the Big Clifty Formation.  The cut exposes Late Mississippian: Early and Middle Chesterian deposits.  I forgot to take photos of the exposure, but there are plenty on the web.  Here are the fruits of this particular trip:

Zaphrentites spinulosa (Cnidaria: Anthozoa: Rugosa)

ZaphrentitesSpinulosa.thumb.jpg.e7a6eca7ab37c29a57fd6c4577944855.jpg

Connularia sp. fragment (Incertae sedis; Cnidaria: Scyphozoa?)

Connularia.thumb.jpg.7b2057bd693b3a156f12e3aaef3b26f9.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Pentremites spp. (Echinodermata:  Blastoidea)

Pentremites.thumb.jpg.e80a852abdc2823f18a0b7c5327cf739.jpg

Graptolite????  (Hemichordata:  Graptolithina)  (or maybe fragment of Connulariid?)

cfGraptolite.thumb.jpg.f4111ab1fdb43fed656024995ccd292d.jpg

Kaskia chesteriensis pygidium (Arthropoda:  Trilobita)

Kaskia.thumb.jpg.87715d61df4c0c8cb278315c39982a55.jpg

Poecilodus sp. (?) (Chondrichthyes:  Cochliodontiformes)

Poecilodus3.thumb.jpg.9b3c06e10c81baa6bd6ded2a2f2526f0.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Petrodus sp. (?) denticles (Chondrichthyes:  Symmoriiformes).  Not sure if the upper one is also referrable to Petrodus... (?)

PetrodusDenticle.thumb.jpg.269cf8c62c48ace39b5829beb16f6925.jpg

That's all folks.  Thanks for looking!

• Enjoyed 1

Love that site.  It is the only place I've hunted Mississippian.  The fauna is diverse and has added a cool dimension to my collection.  You did quite well, as it is a popular site.  Love the Poecilodus.  In my 3 trips there, I've been fortunate to pick up 2.  

If you are a prepper with air scribe experience, be advised that I've found the Poecilodus to be preppable with a steady hand.  The matrix seems eager enough to separate from the enamel to afford exposure of the entire tooth.  I can send you pics of my prepped ones if you like for reference while you prep.  Always pays to accurately anticipate hidden features.  

It seemed to me that the trilobites weren't quite as amenable to letting go of the matrix, so when I finally found a whole Kaskia with its head buried, I left it as is and simply trimmed the matrix down.  I've taken 3 or 4 crinoid crowns there too, one quite spectacular, Plaxocrinus methinks.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

2 hours ago, ynot said:

:thumbsu:

Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Love that site.  It is the only place I've hunted Mississippian.  The fauna is diverse and has added a cool dimension to my collection.  You did quite well, as it is a popular site.  Love the Poecilodus.  In my 3 trips there, I've been fortunate to pick up 2.  

If you are a prepper with air scribe experience, be advised that I've found the Poecilodus to be preppable with a steady hand.  The matrix seems eager enough to separate from the enamel to afford exposure of the entire tooth.  I can send you pics of my prepped ones if you like for reference while you prep.  Always pays to accurately anticipate hidden features.  

It seemed to me that the trilobites weren't quite as amenable to letting go of the matrix, so when I finally found a whole Kaskia with its head buried, I left it as is and simply trimmed the matrix down.  I've taken 3 or 4 crinoid crowns there too, one quite spectacular, Plaxocrinus methinks.

2 hours ago, Kane said:

This is definitely a feast for the eyes. :dinothumb:

Thanks @ynot, @Kane, and @Uncle Siphuncle.  This was only my second trip to that site, so I'm still learning the logistics, secrets, and fossil assemblage.  

@Uncle Siphuncle I have prepped I couple shark teeth from Sulphur and, like you, have found them to separate well (although sometimes too well, as I have had them pop off the matrix entirely and had to glue them back on :().  I'd  much enjoy seeing your Poecilodus for reference before I work on this one.  

I agree about the Kaskia being "sticky".  I used a pin vice to whittle my way down to the exoskeleton prior to air abrasion, and it's laborious and hard on the wrist / hand...

Last time I was at Sulphur, I found a crinoid crown.  I'll try to remember to share it to see if you can help me put a name on it.

With kind regards,

Mics Poecilodus sp. 1a Site 715 112616.JPG

Mics Poecilodus sp. 1b Site 715 112616.JPG

Mics Crinoid 1a Site 715 112616.JPG

Mics Crinoid 1b Site 715 112616.JPG

Mics Crinoid 2a Site 715 112616.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Grüße,

Mics Plaxocrinus sp.  1a Site 715 1215.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Grüße,

Oh Dan, what is the last one ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Mics Poecilodus 1a Site 715 081414.jpg

Mics Poecilodus 1c Site 715 081414.jpg

Mics Kaskia (Paladin) chesterensis 1a Site 715 1215.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Grüße,

7 minutes ago, Coco said:

Oh Dan, what is the last one ?

Coco

I think that one may be Plaxocrinus.

Grüße,

Awesome finds what a variety! Your teeth all appear to be Poecilodus jonessi, they are fantastic specimens!

6 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Mics Plaxocrinus sp.  1a Site 715 1215.JPG

Hi this is the top of the anal sack of Tholocrinus, Plaxocrinus is a Pennsylvanian crinoid genus

• I found this Informative 3

Hi,

number-one-respect-953.gif

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg